"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern electric 1945 phone question

Started by macdouga, March 09, 2013, 01:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdouga

Hi everyone,

I have a couple of questions about different phones.  But I'll just post one for now.

I work with a community theatre and we're doing a production of The Mousetrap by Agatha Christie.  We borrowed an old phone (see photo) that indicates inside its a Northern Electric.  Has a stamp that indicates 6-6-45 (date I assume).  I took the bottom off to see if there was any way to make it ring (to sound more authentic)... however there is nothing inside that would be a ringer - as far as I can tell, nor is there room in the base for a ringer - again, as far as I can tell. So I have the following questions:
1.  If it didn't have an internal ringer, did it have an external ringer box?  If so, what would that have looked like?
2.  Would anyone have an e-file (MP3 or other) of the ring... or something close to it?

Inside the phone there is also 5H, though I understand that isn't the phone model, but rather the dial model.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Cheers,

Sandy

Dan/Panther

Macdouga;
Welcome.
Check your email. I sent a single ring. It will need to be looped.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan/Panther

If that won't work for you, you can always go on line, and Google "phones ringing".

I googled Phone Ringing, and got several hits. This one says "OLD PHONE RINGING".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX0W39jexcM

I guess to get what you want, you must type ANCIENT PHONE RINGING
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Sargeguy

You do need a "subscriber set", which is a ringer box that includes electronics for it to dial out and ring.  Here is a picture of a Northern Electric D-1 (stripped of paint), does your's have the same markings?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

macdouga

I'll have to go back to the theatre and check. Will do that tomorrow.

What would a typical subscriber set look like?

macdouga

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 09, 2013, 03:41:11 PM
Macdouga;
Welcome.
Check your email. I sent a single ring. It will need to be looped.
D/P

Thanks Dan!  It seems you know this phone!  I see its in your signature card!

Mr. Bones

Quote from: macdouga on March 09, 2013, 01:03:28 PM
Hi everyone,

I have a couple of questions about different phones.  But I'll just post one for now.
<snip>
2.  Would anyone have an e-file (MP3 or other) of the ring... or something close to it?
<snip>

Thanks for any help or advice.

Cheers,

Sandy
Sandy,

Did the sound file sent to you by Dan/Panther suit what you were wanting for your theater production? I have a number of .wav, and .mp3 files of vintage telephone rings, from the early 1900's phones, to the more modern. Please, let me know if I can be of any assistance! The show must go on!

Best regards!

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Sargeguy

Western Electric 534, 634, 684 are typically used with this phone, they are usually around $50-75.  Wiring diagrams are available on this site in the wiring diagrams section.  You can also use a 302 telephone as a subset, or a 500 for that matter, but they won't sound as authentic IMHO*, they will sound like a 302 or a 500.

*Yes I know some of these subsets had the same ringers as a 302
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

macdouga

Quote from: Sargeguy on March 09, 2013, 04:40:40 PM
Western Electric 534, 634, 684 are typically used with this phone, they are usually around $50-75.  Wiring diagrams are available on this site in the wiring diagrams section.  You can also use a 302 telephone as a subset, or a 500 for that matter, but they won't sound as authentic IMHO*, they will sound like a 302 or a 500.

*Yes I know some of these subsets had the same ringers as a 302

GREAT!
Thanks... I've Googled those suggestions and see they are basically a black box (cosmetically - I know there were "workings" inside).  For purposes of accuracy it would be great to have one, however for practicality... it's likely going to be a literal, black box made from wood or similar.  Would this have generally sat on the desk near the phone or would it be hung on the wall... say next to, or under a desk?

poplar1

It was usually mounted on the wall, though sometimes on the underside of a bedside table or inside an office desk. It would not have been on the floor.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

macdouga

Quote from: poplar1 on March 09, 2013, 05:11:14 PM
It was usually mounted on the wall, though sometimes on the underside of a bedside table or inside an office desk. It would not have been on the floor.

What's the chance this phone could have been connected to a wooden subset with external bells?  I have one of those and I think the bells work!  The one I have is Northern Electric 43-A Subset... bells only, no other innards that would make the phone work... and I suspect, likely an earlier generation to the 1945 phone.

poplar1

I believe that the 43-A is just an extension ringer. If thatis the one with 3 inch gongs, then they are probably lower pitch than what would be found on a 684A Bakelite subset.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector

The sub sets were usually somewhat hidden out of site so if you are using your 202/D1 in plays only but need it to ring you could use an extension ringer only to produce the ring and pretending to talk on the phone doesn't require the proper sub set. It may be easier to use the wav files to produce ringing though.

Terry