News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"Untested" Panasonic 616 - how risky is this?

Started by RotarDad, January 26, 2012, 10:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotarDad

I am interested in Panasonic 616 and I see many of them on EBay (with prices all over the map).   Many state that they power on, but are untested beyond that, or they say they were "pulled from a working environment".   My question is: are these systems highly likely to be good?   Or, should I buy one that is guaranteed and with a higher price?   I'm used to WE500 reliability (they all work).  Thanks for any input......   Paul
Paul

Phonesrfun

I have had both a 308, and I currently have a 616.  They are real robust.  If the price was decent enough, I'd probably roll the dice, but what the heck.

I bought my 616 knowing it had a bad port for extension #2, but the price was so good I rolled the dice on that one.  So, I only have 15 out of 16 extensions, but I haven't missed it.  Otherwise it works great, it has been connected for a couple years with no other problems.

-Bill G

twocvbloke

Having used a panasonic system in a place of work, once they're all set up properly, they're pretty bomb proof systems, so if you get one listed as "Pulled from a working environment", then I'd say that it was pretty likely to be a good, working phone system... :)

Doug Rose

I have a 616 and bought a 308 at a yard sale and sold it. I agree with everyone that these are fairly indestructible. If the Price is right ....under $50....go for it.

Word of caution....make sure it is modular. There is a version that you have to have a tail punched down to a RJ21X type block. You DO NOT want this. Get a picture with the cover off.....Doug
Kidphone

gpo706

Its a big robust bit of kit, if it powers up it most probably will be fine.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

RotarDad

Thanks to all for the feedback!!   I am much better informed!   Paul
Paul

gpo706

Quote from: Phonesrfun on January 26, 2012, 10:19:48 PM
I have had both a 308, and I currently have a 616.  They are real robust.  If the price was decent enough, I'd probably roll the dice, but what the heck.

I bought my 616 knowing it had a bad port for extension #2, but the price was so good I rolled the dice on that one.  So, I only have 15 out of 16 extensions, but I haven't missed it.  Otherwise it works great, it has been connected for a couple years with no other problems.

Is it a bad port or isn't it reserved for a DSS consol?

The UK version goes from 21 to 36, and 22 is the DSS designated ext.

AE_Collector

Quote from: gpo706 on January 28, 2012, 01:41:47 PM
Is it a bad port or isn't it reserved for a DSS consol?

TIE Ultracom's were like that as well. Station 21 was for the receptionist phone and 22 was for the DSS Add-on. I think that 23 & 24 were reserved or at least capable of being programmed for a second receptionist with DSS.

DSS = Direct Station Selection. These are matching add-on's with nothing but key/lamps that can be pushed to call or transfer to an extension and the lamps light up when the coresponding extension is in use. Handy stuff for receptionists.

Terry

Phonesrfun

On the US versions , the extensions start at 11.  The dead one is 12.  Fortunate that it is not 11 that is dead, because 11 is the only port you can program from.

I think it's just dead, but I will need to read the documentation file to see if there is a dedicated DSS port.  I don't recall seeing that before.

-Bill G

Doug Rose

Softcopy of the 616 installation manual
Kidphone

RotarDad

My Ebay 616 just arrived today for $47 shipped.  It was offered as-is, untested and no returns.  Armed with info from this thread, I asked the seller if the unit powered up and if the lights on the front panel came on, which he confirmed.  I took the risk, and the unit works like a champ!  My kids tested all 16 extentions.  Thanks again to all who chimed in, and to Doug for posting the manual link!  Now I'll have to get busy running some additional wire......   Paul
Paul

Doug Rose

I don't a have a programming phone, it works perfectly off of default (pull the battery strap). You can have up to three extensions per port. It is invaluable as a test station (s) on my work bench as well. Best thing I ever bought for telephones that is not displayed in my phone room..........Doug
Kidphone

twocvbloke

I really need to get myself a panasonic system, it'd me a lot more useful than my Nortel Meridian system, which is all-digital and useless for real phones without ATAs... :D

Good to hear that it's all working, they're pretty reliable systems that rarely go wrong... :)

gpo706

It's a bog heavy bit of kit, I'm sure if you pulled one out a skip it may work, must be stuffed with boards.

Glad your 616 was up to the job, for complete satisfaction start hunting for a programming phone to go into 11/21.

TelePlay

Quote from: RotarDad on February 07, 2012, 01:11:33 AM
My Ebay 616 just arrived today for $47 shipped.  It was offered as-is, untested and no returns.  Armed with info from this thread, I asked the seller if the unit powered up and if the lights on the front panel came on, which he confirmed.  I took the risk, and the unit works like a champ!  My kids tested all 16 extentions.  Thanks again to all who chimed in, and to Doug for posting the manual link!  Now I'll have to get busy running some additional wire......   Paul

I'd say ditto to this. After reading this and the post put up by Twocvbloke titled "Yay, . . . ", I took the leap and bought a "powers up but can't test it further" unit for $39.99 plus $15 shipping. Arrived today and all extensions work. Lot of info in these links about the 616, programming phones and manuals. Thanks to all who chimed in to make this and the other thread an invaluable resource for deciding how to buy what.

(Unfortunately, the cheapest KX-T7130 phone for programming I have found so far is $88 with free shipping)