and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Find of the Month - December 2017

Started by AE_Collector, December 01, 2017, 10:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Find of the Month - December 2017  *** Vote for TWO ***

Pourme's AE 880 Speakerphone in Gardenia White $50 plus $22 shipping on eBay
13 (50%)
Fabius' German Ivory Bakelite W49 Hagenuk Kiel Desk phone. $40 plus shipping on eBay
5 (19.2%)
dsk's Light green (crystal mint?) Ericsson Ericofon picked up locally for $16 US.
6 (23.1%)
WEBellSystemChristian's early tenite Garnet Red AE 80 for $25 plus 9 in shipping
16 (61.5%)
compubit's Northern Electric Centurion Rotary Payphone, for $105 +$35 shipping
5 (19.2%)
Doug Rose's WECo 302 in Hammered Silver (Old Phone Works). $79.99 shipped on eBay
4 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 26

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 31, 2017, 08:24:32 AM
I'll make Terry Happy, I'll nominate my Controversial  ??OPW?? WE Hammered Silver 302. Can't beat the price of 79.99 delivered.  Over 2/3 off the list price that OPW sells them for.  This was expertly done, polished F1, new cloth cords. Quality refurb. Really a sharp looking phone. I know its painted, but all metal 302s were painted .....Doug
Here ya go, Doug...

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19450.0
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Doug Rose

Thanks Christian...I knew I forgot something!  :o.....Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Okay, that's the end of 2017 so it is time to vote for Decembers Find of the Month. Six very nice competitors this month, almost wasn't a WECo in the crowd until the last minute but there is now.

Vote for your TWO fav's and let's see who earns the last spot in the "Find if the YEAR" competition coming soon to a Rotary Phone Forum near you.

Happy New Year everyone!

Terry

AE_Collector

That's it for December 2017's Find of the Month. This was a good month for me an AE Fan but for there was something for everyone this month. I'm not going to mention the fact that AE cleaned up this month, that would be taking advantage of my position as Head Find of the Month Guru so
I will want to avoid that.

WEBellSystemChristian's early Garnet Red AE 80 takes December 2017's award as most coveted Find. Congratulations Christian! It was a close completion with Pourme's Gardenia White 880 Speakerphone coming in a close second. I'd take both of them but...oh wait a minute, I've already got one of each in those colours.

Once again Congratulations Christian on your FANTASTIC Garnet Red AE 80 and to Pourme as well on your LIKE NEW Gardenia White AE 880. And thanks to all of this months competitors for your deserving finds as well.

John will add Christians December Find to the Find of the YEAR 2018 topic and we will launch it soon.

Oh yes....Did anyone besides me notice how well Automatic Electric phones did this month??

To check out a list of all past winners including the Find of the YEAR winners, click here:  --> Winner's List <--

TelePlay has grabbed pictures of all of the "Find of the Month" winners since we started this back in 2010 and he has put them into albums on forum. Thanks John.  To check them out, click here:  --> Photo Album <--

Terry

Pourme

AE held it's head high this month!

Congrats to Christian on your well deserved win, I love red phones and that Red AE80 is exceptional!

Thanks to everyone that voted for my AE880, I'm honored.

Looking forward to the find of the year vote!

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

AE_Collector

Pourme: If you had a Garnet Red 880 Speakerphone, I guarantee you would have won!

Terry

Pourme

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 06, 2018, 05:28:18 PM
Pourme: If you had a Garnet Red 880 Speakerphone, I guarantee you would have won!

Terry

I will work on that!
Benny

WEBellSystemChristian

Wow, I can't believe I won!! I thought for sure that Benny's 880 would have taken first! All finds this month were great!

Keep looking for that Garnet Red 880, Benny. I know Terry will try to sell his soul to you to have one!
Christian Petterson

AE_Collector

Quote from: Pourme on January 06, 2018, 05:43:27 PM
I will work on that!

I worked on it too but try not to think about it. Really my only bad experience on eBay. A red one was listed about 25 miles from me. Asked lots of questions and was assured it was solid red plastic, not painted. Told them I was still sceptical but I would buy it and pay for it, go pick it up soon and confirm then for certain if I would keep it or not. Got there, obviously it was painted, left it there and went to work on refund. Four years ago and still waiting for $235 refund.

Filed for refund with eBay/PayPal but...oh we're sorry, you're not eligible for a refund as you picked it up rather than had it shipped. WHAT? Actually the only picking up I did was on the desk it sat on at the antique dealer / eBay Seller. Somewhere on page 33 of some document that rule is written. Seller only had 97-98% good feedback then and over the next two years dropped to just over 90% good feedback. The whole time the red 880 continued to be listed by the seller on eBay.

Soon after I reopened the case pointing out all the buyer complaints against the seller but they just reiterated all the same stuff like I was to blame. Soon after this the eBay seller disappeared likely just starting up a new seller name to ditch their 90% positive feedback.

In retrospect I should have taken it with me even though painted but I really wasn't interested as it wasn't a particularly good job anyway and had paid a lot for it. I have never done all that much on eBay ever since then. The experience sort if ruined eBay and PayPal for me. I do look for every possible way to move money by Paypal Friends & Family cutting out any fees paid to them. I'm up several dollars now, only several hundred to go.

Terry

Pourme

Unreal that EBAY would allow a injustice like that to go unsettled.
Benny

dsk

Congratulations, I  have to agree int the jury's final decisions.
It is no rules for how to vote, somebody has tried to to suggest some, and I am happy with not having rules for every thing. How can I be happy with these results? It matches my way making priority. For me value is not important, shipping is totally out of control so it dos cont for 0 so the priority is made in the order I would like to have one of these in my display/use.  Usually I like black telephones, probably because all telephones were black when I was a kid, but the red one is fascinating and could work on my desk, the loud-speaking telephone too, and as the third my own Ericofon.
The payphone, I may be slightly more interesting than the W49, only because of the challenge to get it working. The W 49 convertible just because it is convertible, and at last the metal 302, maybe the most durable and long lasting tabletop telephone ever made for non-military use, did I have it and wanted to keep it, then I would probably painted it black.   8)

dsk

Doug Rose

Dag....I agree. I look at what is shown for FOM and what I would place in my collection. My choice is always what I would want.  I am wrong most of the time on what I vote for, but it is what I would I want, not what is the "popular" choice. Good fun for all members, although I am surprised that more do not vote. One change I would have, is vote for only one phone, which is what I do......Doug
Kidphone

Pourme

I must admit...one of my votes went to Christian's AE80....

Benny
Benny

AE_Collector

Six very nice telephones to wind up the year with, a great variety and each one a fine example of why we are all here and collecting old junk telephones. CRAP in Jim S lingo....Communications Related Apparatus & Phones.

Two iconic European phones made it this month as well, I don't have to point out how hard European phones have to work to get some votes from primarily North American voters. Unjustified for certain but simply reality considering the membership balance in CRPF. We are so lucky on the forum to have a good number of regular contributors who don't live in North America. This goes a long way to broaden our views to all types of equipment.

When we started playing with multiple votes per person it was done to offset the fact that quite often competitions of 5 to 10 phones with only 20-30 regular voters using 1 vote each led to some multiple ties between phones and the tied leaders might only have 4, 5 or 6 votes each. Run-offs usually revealed the winner but I hate having to pick who is axed and who moves on to round two. I've noticed surprising results in run-offs, seldom ending with the result that I might have expected. I too would prefer a single vote and I quickly learned that too many votes per person scares voters away! If we always had 50 to 60 voters, even with up to ten Finds to choose from I think a single vote would always work.

Terry

WEBellSystemChristian

I also realized that, for the first time that I can think of, he have an equal number of United States finds and non-US finds (three American; one Canadian, one German, and one Swedish). US finds usually always outweigh non-US.
Christian Petterson