"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Who wants to be on C*NET?

Started by bellsystemproperty, April 02, 2010, 08:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

Hi Dave:

I called and got the recording.  Works very well.

-Bill
-Bill G

DavePEI

Quote from: Phonesrfun on May 05, 2012, 10:48:22 PM
Hi Dave:

I called and got the recording.  Works very well.

-Bill

Hi Bill:

I saw you called a couple of hours ago! Thanks for giving it a try... Now, I have this working, I have to try to get the two Motorola ATAs I bought working, too! Can't get them to load their config files, but then I have been concentrating on getting the Asterisk Server going first....

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Adam

Quote from: DavePEI on May 05, 2012, 11:00:41 PM
Now, I have this working, I have to try to get the two Motorola ATAs I bought working, too! Can't get them to load their config files

Unfortunately, you picked one of the hardest to configure ATAs that you could possibly find.  They are configurable, however. I have two here myself that I bought for grins, and I did get one working once.  Good news is, several of us here and on the C*NET list have made them work, so there's help here for you on this aspect, too.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

DavePEI

Quote from: Adam on May 06, 2012, 12:08:32 AM
Quote from: DavePEI on May 05, 2012, 11:00:41 PM
Now, I have this working, I have to try to get the two Motorola ATAs I bought working, too! Can't get them to load their config files

Unfortunately, you picked one of the hardest to configure ATAs that you could possibly find.  They are configurable, however. I have two here myself that I bought for grins, and I did get one working once.  Good news is, several of us here and on the C*NET list have made them work, so there's help here for you on this aspect, too.
Adam:

Can you suggest an easier one to get going? these don't seem to want to be set up at all...

I am wondering about the Grandstream HT-502 - ever heard of anyone who has put one of them on C*NET? I hope someone might be able to guide me as I set it up, so unless I know of someone who uses one, I probably won't get it.  I am looking for one to use in this house, and plan to leave the server in the museum...

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Adam

I absolutely can recommend an easier one, and you read my mind.

The HT-502 couldn't be easier to set up and use.  I currently have 5 of them installed here at my premises, and two are accessing my system as OPXs (off premises extensions).  You might read somewhere that they are unreliable but that is definitely not my experience.  I've never had one go bad.  They're really small, easy to program, and accept pulse dialing from rotary phones.  You can find them easily on eBay for about $50.00 each.  Each Ht-502 includes two FXS ports.  They would work great in your application where some of your extensions are in your house yet your server is in the museum (as do my OPXs).
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

DavePEI

Quote from: Adam on May 06, 2012, 10:20:19 AM
I absolutely can recommend an easier one, and you read my mind.

Ok, that does it. I just ordered two of them for $34.00 each on Ebay and coming from Quebec.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Adam

Quote from: DavePEI on May 06, 2012, 11:23:39 AM
I just ordered two of them for $34.00 each on Ebay

That's a good price.  I assume that's $34 plus shipping which brings it up to around the $45 to $50 area.  That's about right, some sellers sell them that way, some sell them around $50.00 with free shipping.

You just plug them into your network, access them via a web browser from any computer on your network, put in the extension number and password for each port, and you're done!  (There's lots of other options you can change, like dialed digits accepted, ringing options, but you don't have to do any of that to get running.)

Call me if you need help.  That goes for anyone with questions about Grandstream ATA's, FreePBX and Asterisk, 1A2 key systems and Western Electric phones.

Remember, at Los Angeles Telephone, our motto is, "If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong!"

:)
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

Greg G.

If I hooked up to C*Net, and somebody tried to call me via C*Net, does it show up on the caller ID?  I don't use the Xlink anymore, I have a POTS line.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

DavePEI

Quote from: Adam on May 06, 2012, 11:38:00 AM
Quote from: DavePEI on May 06, 2012, 11:23:39 AM
I just ordered two of them for $34.00 each on Ebay

That's a good price.  I assume that's $34 plus shipping which brings it up to around the $45 to $50 area.  That's about right, some sellers sell them that way, some sell them around $50.00 with free shipping.

You just plug them into your network, access them via a web browser from any computer on your network, put in the extension number and password for each port, and you're done!  (There's lots of other options you can change, like dialed digits accepted, ringing options, but you don't have to do any of that to get running.)

Call me if you need help.  That goes for anyone with questions about Grandstream ATA's, FreePBX and Asterisk, 1A2 key systems and Western Electric phones.

Remember, at Los Angeles Telephone, our motto is, "If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong!"

:)
Actually only $5 shipping, so $39 total for each...

Quick question, not about the Grandstream, but about dialing international numbers on C*NET. I tired to call John Mulrane in Ireland today whose number is listed in the directory and in my logs after a call he made here - is there a prefix which needs to be included before the number, e.g. 011, or 010 when dialing?

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Quote from: Brinybay on May 06, 2012, 12:35:54 PM
If I hooked up to C*Net, and somebody tried to call me via C*Net, does it show up on the caller ID?  I don't use the Xlink anymore, I have a POTS line.

Does on mine!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Adam

Quote from: DavePEI on May 06, 2012, 12:44:02 PM
about dialing international numbers on C*NET. I tired to call John Mulrane in Ireland today whose number is listed in the directory and in my logs after a call he made here - is there a prefix which needs to be included before the number, e.g. 011, or 010 when dialing?

This depends on your outgoing C*NET route and the access code that is assigned to it.

You probably have 1 assigned as the C*NET access code, and the route is told to keep the 1 when dialing out the number.  That will work for North American C*NET numbers, but not other country codes.

To do other C*NET country codes, you need an outgoing C*NET route just like the other one, but one that does not append 1 to the outgoing number.  Your access code for this route could be 011, so, for example, to dial Ian Jolly's speaking clock, you'd dial (without the spaces)

011 44 352 8081

The 011 could be whatever access code is convenient for your system's numbering plan.  The most important part is that this route strips off (does not pass) the route's access code (as your  North American C*NET route 1 does).

Of course, I'm saying all this without seeing your set up at all...

In case anybody wants to test an international C*NET routing, although I am physically located in California, Ian Jolly arranged it so that I can have a UK C*NET number.  Using your international C*NET routing, you can call me at:

44 51 236 1591

That's a Liverpool number, and historically that actual number was the original telephone number of the Cavern Club, the birthplace of the Beatles.
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

DavePEI

Quote from: Adam on May 06, 2012, 01:07:43 PM
To do other C*NET country codes, you need an outgoing C*NET route just like the other one, but one that does not append 1 to the outgoing number.  Your access code for this route could be 011, so, for example, to dial Ian Jolly's speaking clock, you'd dial (without the spaces)

011 44 352 8081

Hi Adam:

Ok, that works. It is the 011 I need to add. No problem dialing Ian's time machine :-) Like that gal's accent!

Thanks!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

Here's a question, if someone has a UK-type number, and wants to call another UK-type number, do they have to use the access codes, or is it just like dialling within one's own country as per regular phone lines? ???

DavePEI

Quote from: twocvbloke on May 06, 2012, 09:19:30 PM
Here's a question, if someone has a UK-type number, and wants to call another UK-type number, do they have to use the access codes, or is it just like dialling within one's own country as per regular phone lines? ???
Well, I can't answer but it is a good question. Here, if we want to call another Canadian or US number have to use the Country Code (1), then the office code/number (651-0001).

To dial the UK or other international number, we have to preface the number and country code with 011.

Am I correct in assuming that there you would have to dial the country code and office code/number same as we do to call within North America?

Perhaps those who have been on C*NET longer than I will have the definitive answer :)

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

Yeah, we have to dial something similar to call an international number from the UK, for example, it would be 001 (or +1) followed by a US number to call someone over there in the states, so it would be 001 555 3226, according to BT at least...  ???

http://tinyurl.com/6rkpdlm

Within the UK, you have to dial the area code, E.G. 01282 for Burnley (Lancashire) followed by the number 861234, but if you're in the same area, you just dial the number... :)

From a mobile phone you have to dial the whole lot, and they recommend entering the numbers as though they were being dialled from another country (e.g. +441282861234) to make it "easier" to use a phone abroad (I.E. make sure they can charge you international rates!!)... ???