News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Great article by Paul F. in Singing Wires!

Started by Greg G., June 17, 2010, 01:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

It's regarding the 49-500 set we "discovered" at the Museum of Communications in Seattle.  Very informative and good use of pictures.  I got a chuckle out of the (I'm sure unintentional) juxtaposition of Bill Guert's pic just below the headline "MISSING LINK FOUND".
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

Just call me the Piltdown man.  I saw that I was the missing link too.  I got a kick out of it   :D

I thought the article was real good too.  Great work, Greg, on going back to the museum for that great follow-up.  It seems to have made all the difference in the world.  Paul, as usual, very well written and documented.

-Bill G

paul-f

"There are no accidents"  (Freud)

(For the record, the caption reads: "Bill Geurts holds the missing link.")

Greg did the hard work on this one.  Well done!

It's good to have the story archived for posterity.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dan/Panther

Paul;
pass on to Greg...
Excellent article once again.....

Bill;
Never Mind..... ::) :o ;D

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

McHeath

Dan/Panther

Paul;
In the article, it mentions that the switch was only able to reach the equalizer. It has spade connectors on both wires, so in effect it would only be able to short a section of the Equalizer out. Otherwise the switch would have a terminal to screw another wire from the Equalizer to cut that section out.
What if anything can be will happen by shorting out a section of the Equalizer, That is a question not a comment ? Would shorting out the Equalizer accomplish anything ?

D/P

Greg G.

Quote from: McHeath on June 17, 2010, 01:01:50 PM
Where can I find this article??

If you're a member of TCI, it was in the recent newsletter called "Singing Wires".  I'm not sure if they have complimentary copies for nonmembers.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dennis Markham

I too enjoyed the article and the notoriety that you guys have earned.  Nice job to all of you!  Another well written article, Paul.

Dan/Panther

Greg G.

- Mike Row
e

Wallphone

TCI has a nice and cheap reprint of the articles from the May and June issues available in the TCI Store.
> http://www.telephonecollectors.org/store/store.htm <
The cost is $5 with shipping included for U.S. buyers.
Dougpav

Dan/Panther

21 years of singing wires on DVD/CD is available at

Singingwires@aol.com
$20.00 US, $21.00 Canada
Available on DVD or 2 CD's.
D/P

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on June 21, 2010, 01:19:53 PM

21 years of singing wires on DVD/CD is available at

Singingwires@aol.com
$20.00 US, $21.00 Canada
Available on DVD or 2 CD's.
D/P

This is the way to go. The disc has nost of the pictures in color and it is searchable. It is full of great info.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.