and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A.E. 802 Help

Started by trainman, February 09, 2009, 08:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDM

Quote from: trainman on February 18, 2009, 03:02:43 PM
my ringer # is d-56548-A50

Hmmmm, 50/hz maybe?? Well, I'll check this when I get home. BTW, 20/hz, also known as a straight line ringer, is standard for single line. Different freq ringers were used for party lines. I find many of the independents had freq ringers, since most were used in rural area party lines. Easy fix though.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

trainman

what's the easy fix? I tried making a new spring out of lighter weight material,  but still no go. I picked up 2 more AE 80's off of ebay. hopefully one has a straight line ringer.

BDM

Now, we need to determine if you have a frequency ringer. Here's an example of one below. Notice the 54~. This is a 54 hz ringer. Notice the heavy gong rod, and adjustable gong. A good sign this is a freq ringer also. Generally, a 20 hz ringer will have a thin gong rod, and it's non-adjustable. Judging from your part number, it looks like you have a 50/hz ringer i.e. frequency ringer. You should be able to install a .4 or .5 mfd capacitor in place of the original, which is probably an .8 mfd? This will allow it to ring, though not super loud. But plenty loud by my standard. Or, you can find the proper ringer and cap. Some of the TCI members have these for sale on a regular basis. Generally for around $10/$15 bucks shipped.

Last, I don't have a complete model 80 with a printed board. Mines completely in parts and has been scavenged. All my AE80 are the early potted network types.

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

mienaichizu

I almost completely forgot this thread, I recently opened up my AE80 and here's the photo of its ringer, I think it is straight line, How can I make this ring?

BDM

Yes, that's a straight line 20/25 hz ringer. Is that a potted network, or circuit board network?
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

mienaichizu

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

mienaichizu