News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ken, Barbie and Charlton Heston

Started by McHeath, March 27, 2010, 10:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

Was at the local Goodwill today, and of course there were no phones.

However, there were the Ken and Barbie Star Trek themed dolls from 1995 for 6 bucks.  No case or Tricorders, but they are in perfect shape.

McHeath

Then there was this groovy Ken doll from 1968.  He's dressed to kill in flared jeans, a tapestry pattern baby blue coat with velvet collar, and puffy shirt and bow tie.  Also note the massively good tan, and the fact that he's way better looking than 1995 Ken.  This gem was 2 bucks, and while I don't collect dolls at all, the Trek ones above fit my Star Trek collection, this guys great clothes from the 60's were too good to pass up.

McHeath

1968 Ken reminds me of the fabulous outfit that Charlton Heston wore early on in Omega Man.  (1970)  He's kicking it at his place, having a sausage dinner and playing chess against a bust of Caesar, while the albino crazies outside shoot fireballs at his windows. 

One cool cat.

Dan

Your classic Ken doll has the classic symptoms of Addison's disease:)

JFK had it (with the associated "tanned" skin). My Uncle George had it. He was one tan guy who had to fair skinned toe-head blonde girls.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

bwanna

clothes were just so much more interesting "back in the day".  look at heston relaxing at home, yet still in an outfit. these days he would be wearing sweats & a t-shirt.

mcheath, i bet that '68 is worth a little money. how come the ken dolls don't have real hair ??? always the molded plastic head.
donna

Dan

McHeath, I believe you have a little more here than you realise.....

That "ken" is a rare prototype. It was actually a rare "Hugh" doll, modelled after Hugh Hefner. It was given to young daughters of aging playboy bunnies.

Controversy hit Mattell, who was forced to withdraw the first 69 dolls from the field trial. They subsequently renamed it a generic "ken" and the rest is history. Most were thrown in the playboy mansion fireplace , as they found out they made an excellent source of kindling.

Your doll with the charred clothes  somehow was darkened (tanned) but rescued from the flames....
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

bwanna

dan....you rival infamous bs'er, mcheath, with that story......  :D ;)
donna

Wallphone

It looks like April Fool's Day came early for Dan this year.
Let's dissect it and see if we can find any serial numbers.
Dougpav

McHeath

Holy tall tale Batman, you can tell a whopper with the best of them Dan! 

No serial numbers on Ken, but he does inform me that he came from Hong Kong.  Must have walked here because he's got no shoes.   :D