News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Antique Electrical Hardware

Started by Craig T, March 29, 2010, 08:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig T

I keep a small display cabinet on the wall with early electrical hardware. I keep some of them for fan/radio plug replacement. Here are a few I just cleaned up.

There is one at the end I am working on right now. I just pulled this one out of the old mine depot with some great farm lights. It has a bakelite switch, when turned it rolls a metal disc that says on and off.

I keep around as many different cloth cords as I can too. This one is one of my favorites and it bound for an Emerson 77648-SO (A 16" Emerson metal blade fan in a bronze color).

The switches are my favorites, I only have the two of those right now. I don't come across that many of those. I have a few boxes like the one at the end that still need to be cleaned up. If anyone has any more to show, please post some pics of them.

AET

I actually had quite a few of those switches and those knobs, which were all in use in our old gun store, built in 1853, and a pharmacy from 1865 until we bought it in 2004.  All of them still worked, we just updated the knob and tube wiring and left them in place.  Hindsight's 20/20 I guess.
- Tom

GusHerb

We have some of those old knob-twist switches as well.... They're still installed in my dad's building in the basement, one of them still is connected to a regularly used light. One day I plan on snatching them.
Jonathan

Kenny C

hey do any of you know how to tell what year an iron was made in
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

Kenny,

Appliance manufacturers didn't (and still don't) date their parts like Western Electric did. WE kind of set the all time standard that very few have duplicated.  Sometimes there may be a date somewhere inside, but chances are, not.

-Bill G

Ampico66

Check out my antique electric stuff on Ebay I'm selling, Ampico66 is my user name on there too.  I have a ton of antique switches, plugs, sockets, etc. in the basement.  I've been collecting them for years.  I need to photograph them for show and tell.  I'm not selling all of it, just some of it. 

Craig T

I marked you as a favorite seller. I just spent an hour on the dirty switch. One more and it will be done. I will keep an eye out for the switches, thanks for the heads up. -Craig

dencins

Somewhat along the same line, I acquire and digitally enhance the old No 6 dry cell labels.  Most are specific for telephone use but I have other general purpose labels.

Dennis

Craig T

More very impressive work Dennis!

With turnouts like that you are going to make a battery collector out of me. Those show very nicely, great work! A couple of those would make a great finishing touch on a phone shelf too. Cannot say I have seen any for sale in my travels though.

Thanks for posting the time line too, interesting to see the progression.

Bill

Somewhere I've got a whole box of the old pushbutton light switches - you know, the ceramic body, two black pushbuttons, one having a mother-of-pearl disc on it. I'm not sure where they are at the moment, but they are brand new. I bought them from the basement of an old hardware store, where they had been stored since the days they were used. I needed one to replace a worn-out unit in the late Victorian house we owned, and the store owner said "Take the entire box for $10". I did.

I've thought about selling them on eBay, but I'm not sure of the ramifications of using switches that aren't UL approved. Anyway, if I can find them, I'll add some pictures here - this one is not mine, though identical.

Bill

dencins

Quote from: Craig T on April 02, 2010, 10:18:53 AM
More very impressive work Dennis!

With turnouts like that you are going to make a battery collector out of me. Those show very nicely, great work! A couple of those would make a great finishing touch on a phone shelf too. Cannot say I have seen any for sale in my travels though.

Thanks for posting the time line too, interesting to see the progression.
A while back I was selling the replicas but ran out of the large unplated Fahenstock clips so I stopped.  The original clips on No 6 were 1" long unplated brass but now I can only find nickel plated.  I have 3/4" unplated but it just does not look the same.

If people want to put the labels over a new No 6, I do sell the laebls for $5.00 each plus $2.00 postage per order.

After Energizer stopped making the EN6, people were having trouble replacements but recently another company start making them.  They have two versions:

http://www.batterycountry.com/ShopSite/product9982.html
http://www.batterycountry.com/ShopSite/product9992.html

These are the screw terminal type.

Dennis

Craig T

Thanks for the link Dennis, I will keep that the batteries and your labels in mind.

Bill, I want two of those :)  Look forward to seeing them if you find them.

Here is the one I cleaned up.