News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Putting phone refurbishing skills to other uses

Started by paul-f, April 18, 2010, 09:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

The best way to keep a kitchen clean is to never eat ;)

jsowers

Great job, Paul.

Here's mine, exactly like Briny's. Next to it is a 1941 Philco very much like the one in my grandparents' house that was still working when I was a kid. This one still works too--you can see the dial lamp in the top right corner. I bought it at an auction for $5 and it even has the back still on it. The toaster was also an auction purchase and still works fine. I don't use it much. I prefer the GE toaster oven I got at Goodwill.

You can also see all the junk on my countertop in the reflection. Yes, that's an old Apple Computer mug, turned upside down.

My mom has had a GE 2-slice toaster since about 1965. Never a single problem. My grandmother had one of those odd Sunbeam automatic toasters that lowered and raised the toast by itself. It finally blew one of the nichrome wire elements sometime in the 1980s. The smell of toast toasting and bacon frying will always remind me of Granny.

As far as using refurbishing skills and bringing other skills to refurbishing, polishing a 500 set reminds me a lot of polishing an old car and I do it in a similar way, with compound first followed by Novus (like wax on a car). It's similar to what I did to my '69 Olds Delta 88 to get it to shine.
Jonathan

paul-f

Quote from: jsowers on April 20, 2010, 04:50:49 PM
<snip>
My grandmother had one of those odd Sunbeam automatic toasters that lowered and raised the toast by itself. It finally blew one of the nichrome wire elements sometime in the 1980s. The smell of toast toasting and bacon frying will always remind me of Granny.
<snip>

WOW!  That reminds me that an Aunt had one of those toasters.  It seemed like magic when I was a pre-schooler.  Much neater than our manual model.  Thanks for that memory.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dan/Panther

Here's a shot of a shelf in my man cave.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

AET

.......or get a woman.

(No offense intended Donna)

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on April 20, 2010, 03:53:07 PM
The best way to keep a kitchen clean is to never eat ;)

- Tom