News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What phones ring in your house

Started by liteamorn, January 10, 2012, 02:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liteamorn

I posted this question almost in jest when I saw Doug Rose's amazing collection of phones and it got me thinking, what phones ring when our homes are called? Also, what phones are used and not ringing?

I have an AE 50 on the wall in my kitchen, a black 1959 WE 500 P/U(mushroom) in my bedroom and a black 1954 500 on the desk in my bedroom. Occasionaly I will bring my D1 202 with the E1 handset and use it on my desk but it looks so much better displayed in my nautical living room I usually keep it out there. I do use the night light on my mushroom.

wds

I have an AE 50 in the Kitchen - this is the only phone in the house that rings.  I can hear it anyplace in the house, including the Throne.  I actually don't use this phone to talk on as the cord is way too short.  I use a Galion phone in the LR, which has a nice very long coiled cord - ringer off.  Then I have a couple cordless phones that I use for the rest of the house - ringers off.  Love the sound of that AE 50 - I swear the walls vibrate when it rings.
Dave

JorgeAmely

This beauty is what announces telemarketers, politicians asking for money and unwanted relatives.  ;D ;D ;D
It feels almost "wireless" since there is no spring action tugging at you.

Made when I was born.
Jorge

HarrySmith

There is a limit as to how many phones will ring on one phone line. I believe the technical term is "REN"? There was a long discussion on the lists about this a while back and if I recall correctly the number was around 6. I have a 554 on the kitchen wall and it is the only phone that rings. I can hear it clearly from whever I am in our 2 bedroom condo, including outside!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Kenny C

We have a 1954 354 in the kitchen and a 1939 302 in my bedroom. Those are the only phones that we use in our house. Both have the ringers on. I need a longer cord for the kitchen phone. Can't do much with a standard length cord.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

dsk

It rings almost everywhere  :D
I have a Panasonic 816, and this makes it possible, The more modern ones: a 2500 in on the PC-table, and one on the bed table.
A Starlite on the wall in the livingroom, and a 1924 Norwegian telephone at the kitchen. My son has a 500 with delayed ringing. (Starts on ring no 5) And a 554 in the basement hobby/storeroom.  A Norwegian "splash proof" 1936 wall telephone in the garage. (This has a 5 high REN ringer)

dsk

Adam

I have 8 phones, combinations of 70's era Western Electric 500s, 2500s, Trimlines, Princesses, etc., currently installed in my apartment.  They ALL ring.

However, each one is its own extension on an Asterisk PBX.  When calls come from the outside, they ring on one set, the key set on the desk in my office, which I can hear ringing from all areas of my place.  I can either pick up that phone or use the group pickup code from any other extension to answer the call.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Tom B

I have a Med Blue 1956 500 in our bedroom (suits the decor), and a 1970 red SC 500 (also suits the colour scheme) in the hall downstairs at the moment. Both ring.
They will no doubt be changed as the whim takes me....
Tom

old_stuff_hound

WE302 on my desk, Galion in the LR, Trimline on my wife's desk, and a modern cordless in the kitchen (w/built-in answering machine). There's also a 554 in the detached garage. In use but not ringing are a Crosley 302 copy in the BR and a "Roaring Twenties" candlestick that I got as a Christmas gift ca. 1980 in the LR.

paul-f

No phones ring in my house!

We have a WE 592 ringer mounted on a central stairway.
It can be heard clearly throughout the house.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Grumpy99705

I've a 302 on my night stand, a 51AL on a 534 subset on my desk and a Kellogg 1000 in the guest room.
Oh, and a Panasonic cordless on the vonage modem
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading - Thomas Jefferson

Phonesrfun

I change phones and configurations so often, It's almost impossible to say at any one point in time.  I have had many phones connected through my Panasonic 616 PBX and they all rang at different times, which drove my wife nuts.

Today, I am down to having the Cordless phones (2 of them) plus my Princess hardwired 702B with the E1A ringer on the baseboard as the only ringing phones upstairs.

I have a 2500 downstairs that rings quietly, and I have a 500 connected through the Panasonic connected to C*Net.

-Bill G

Dan

In the basement, a  black WE354 in a phone booth and  trimline (blue) touchtone by the TV. In the kitchen a 554 yellow ;  in the living room, an orange stromberg Carlson 500;  in the dining room a blue touchtone princess, in the bedroom , an Ivory 302, and in the garage, a white Automatic electric 90. All ring, but the one in the garage struggles....
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

twocvbloke

Just three connected here, Black WE500DM and a rubbish motorola cordless (I bought it, but it ain't mine!!) in the living room, at least the WE500 drowns it out, and upstairs, are a couple of BT Viscount phones with adjustable and very delicate ringers, so no jumping 10 feet out of bed at night... :D

As for the REN, here in the UK it is theoretically 4, but depending on the phones, you can get several connected as some only have like 0.5 REN, others though can be high-REN though, haven't checked the WE500's though, they should be pretty low as they still operate with their original capacitors within the networks... :)

GG

Panasonic PBX, with the following enabled to ring:

Panasonic digital keyphone KXT-7636 at my desk, along with a GPO 232 with integral bellset on my work extension number.

ITT 2500 in the WC, seeing as 2500s are waterproof and the fastest way to make a phone ring is to take a shower.  This can also be heard from the kitchen.

GPO 746, red, in my bedroom, "red phone" for work emergency extension.

AE 80, TouchCalling, white w/red faceplate, in my bedroom, "red phone" for my home emergency extension. 

The point of the red phones is so incoming calls don't wake me up unless the caller has an emergency and presses the appropriate digit per voicemail menu.  The reason for having a separate one for "home" and for "work" is to know by the ring which one to answer, as the work line has to be answered "(company name), emergency service," whereas the home line can be answered "hello?".

---

Also, as power fail backup phones permanently connected (direct to CO line, not via PBX):

AE 85-E, Touch Calling, 2-line set, for my residential lines.

AE 187, Touch Calling, 3-line set, for my business lines.

The above two each have the ringer wired across one line and 90-volt buzzers across the other line(s).