News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is this Automatic Electric model??? Leich model 90

Started by Karen, January 25, 2012, 10:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karen

I just got it and the seller claimed he's had it since the 60's and was told it was originally from the 40's.  I dont know, but...  I havent been able to find any date whatsoever inside it.  Just the AE diamond and a "840N" on the inside of the dial.  

Do any of you recognize it?

ESalter

I'm no expert on these, but that's a Leich telephone.  I believe they used those as both desk telephones like you have and also the top section of a magneto "beehive" wall phone.  It should say "LEICH" in the middle of that bar on the underside of the grip on the handset.  I think they are 40s era, but I could be wrong.  ---Eric

Karen

Aaaaah yes you're right!  THANKS! 
The letting under the handset is so covered from the white that I couldnt tell what it is.  But yes, it says LEICH.  Wish I could find a date in there somewhere, but at least I have a general range now. 

Its pretty cool. It doesnt have an actual bell, but its ring sounds like a playing card in the spoke of a bike wheel.  Do you know what thats called?

LarryInMichigan

The phone is definitely a Leich.  I don't think that they were actually made in that color though.  Someone probably painted it.  I would expect that the phone has an Automatic Electric mini network and a buzzer inside of it.  Most of those phones were made to be connected to a magneto box.

Larry

Grumpy99705

It's a Leich model 90. It was introduced as competition for the WE 302. There was a "subset" base that could be added to the phone that would make it a full desktop phone.
I've never seen one that color, they've seemed to have done such a good job on it Im not sure I would change it
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading - Thomas Jefferson

twocvbloke

Quote from: gymcrackery on January 25, 2012, 10:31:25 PMthe seller claimed he's had it since the 60's and was told it was originally from the 40's.

Sounds like the fella I bought an Ivory GPO 746 off (not got it now, gave it away as a gift), claimed he'd had it since the 70's, but the phone was made in 1980... :D

Doug Rose

Robbie could verify, but it looks like and Old Chicago Ielephone refurb. I was watching this auction, it went at a very buyer friendly price.....Nice find.....Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Leich was owned by GTE and supplied their telephone's until GTE bought the Theodore Gary Group of companies in 1955. The Gary Group had owned Automatic Electric since 1919 so AE then became GTE's supplier. Leich was merged into AE over the next few years and then disappeared. That is why you can find some early AE80's that say they were made by Leich on the base.

Terry

rdelius

Looks like a Chicago Old Telephone refurb.We put AE networks and buzzers on most of these.Pack them well, they will break under the cradle
Robby