"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 302 Dial Gasket

Started by Ed D, October 09, 2010, 12:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed D

Hi folks,

I recently obtained some 302 "parts" phones, all having metal bodies.  I see in with some of these phones that there is a soft, rubbery gasket for the dial.  Apparently it goes between the dial and the body.  Is this gasket used in all 302's or only the metal body models?

I wonder if it is absolutely necessary or not.  If it is, where can you get them, or is there an acceptable substitute?  For keeping a phone 100% accurate when doing a restoration, I would think the original (or replacement) gasket is a requirement.

Thanks,
Ed

Kenny C

they all cmae with them. they are not nessicary i have 3 but only 1 has a good gasket.

Dan/Panther made one out of some kind of foam.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

bingster

Good gaskets are as rare as hen's teeth.  Most of the time the rubber has deteriorated into a hardened gunk that effectively glues the dial to the case.  The gasket's purpose was to keep dirt and debris from entering the body of the phone through the crack around the dial.  Since we don't usually put our old phones to the kind of daily grind that they once had to go through, the gasket isn't necessary (and probably wasn't all that necessary to begin with).  The 202 never had a dial gasket, for example, and they made out just fine. 
= DARRIN =

Jim Stettler

Richard Rose "the ericofon expert" ( truly recognized as the leading world expert on ericofons)
He has reproduction dial gaskets  http://ericofon.com/catalog/parts/dialgasket.htm

They are reasonable priced.

Richard is my go-to guy for ericofons. The advantage here is he is  the leading world expert on ericofons. and he is very approachable. Invite him to the forum.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

dencins

I have found rubber grommets work well.  The size I use is

1/4" ID  11/32" OD  1/16" Groove Width 1/8" Hole

These are made by Western Rubber and I get them at a local hardware store.

Dennis 

HarrySmith

The first 302 I restored and sold on ebay had a gasket that fell apart. When I reassembled it I did not use a gasket and it worked fine. The buyer was happy too ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

dencins

I found the holes in the 302 body for the dial screws are too big to just use the screws.  The brass grommet with the screw is large enough to hold on the lip of the hole but the dial can move around unless the screws are tight.

By using the rubber grommet (with or without the brass grommet) the screws are centered in the larger hole and the dial aligns correctly without any adjustment.  My preference is to use the brass grommet with the screw since it provides a better surface on the rubber grommet to tighten the screw.

Dennis 

Ed D

Wow, talk about great information, I sure found it here!  I will contact Richard Rose to get some of his gaskets, and look into the grommets (rubber and brass) as well.

Thank you, everyone!

Ed

bingster

Keep in mind that these aren't the same as the gasket in your phone.  They're a flat piece, rather than three-dimensional with grommets that poke through the plastic.  But if you really want a gasket, they're better than going without one.
= DARRIN =

Jim Stettler

You could probably use the flat gasket in conjuction with small metal grommets. I suspect you could find suitable grommets at well stocked hardware stores like Ace, Lowe's or Eagle

I think the gasket was to help insulate the dial from impact shock. They really don't need them. However for the money, the repro gaskets are cheap and they are restoration part.

To sum it up:

They are worth having and installing, but they aren't really needed.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

JorgeAmely

Kenny:
This is what you need: the real gasket,

http://www.ericofon.com/catalog/parts/dialgasket.htm

Jorge

Sargeguy

NOS gaskets come up on eBay every once in a while, I try to stock up when they are available for cheap.  The kit consists of a gasket, 3 screws and 3 escutcheons.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dennis Markham

Sometimes when removing the old brittle gasket...the part that pokes through the mounting hole, the holes are enlarged,  That presents a problem when putting a new escutcheon in there.  I have had to get little washers to help keep them from falling into the enlarged hole.  The morale of the story is be very careful removing the old brittle gasket.