News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WD 2500 dialing issues

Started by cchaven, June 17, 2011, 05:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cchaven

I picked up a WD 2500D and a 1013 butt set today at a flea market.   When I wire the 2500D up to the modular adapter I use for testing these older telephones I get a dial tone and then the phone breaks the dial tone when dialing the keypad, but after 4 numbers, any numbers, the line begins to ring.  Any suggestions on what to check with this?

Both sets are a bit dirty and show some wear, especially the 1013, but the 2500D is the same deep red as my 554 and 500C/D.  Most components date from 3/71..though the handset dates from 1968.  It still has it's matching handset and mounting cords.  It should clean up nicely.

Thanks
Jeff

Adam

You are saying, that after pressing four numbers, the call goes through and the other end starts to ring, correct?

What number do you reach?  Is it always the same number?  What do you hear after the ringing?

If I were to bet without further info, it sounds to me like a dirty contact on the touch-tone pad which is causing your single key presses to be generating multiple touch tones.  Use a burnishing tool to clean the contacts on the touch-tone pad.  Do not use a file, it will damage the contacts.  If you don't have the tool, use a stiff piece of paper, like a business card.  Spray contact cleaner might also help.

Burnishing tool:  http://tinyurl.com/3nbn9px
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

cchaven

I should have been more clear...the line in the receiver begins to ring.  I'm hearing the tones in the receiver then as I dial, I hear it ring as if completing the call, even if I've not finished dialing.  I'm on a standard POTS line from Verizon.  I've wired many subsets/300's/500's and even 3-slot payphones to work on this line, using the same terminal block.

Thanks
Jeff

Kenny C

I dont know if this will help but if it's hardwired, switch the green and red line wires.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Adam

Reversing red and green in this circumstance will make the problem worse.  It will prevent generation of touch tones altogether.

From your further info, I'm only more sure it's dirty contacts on the touch tone pad.

A dirty contact could easily cause every press of your touch tone buttons to generate at least two touch-tone signals on the line, as the dirty contact opens and closes randomly.  Let's do the math: Four presses times 2 touch tones generated for each button press equals 8 touch tones generated on the line.  Your call would go through after the seventh touch tone generated.  It makes sense.

Try cleaning the contacts on the touch tone pad, including the ones along the sides, but especially the ones on the back.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Mr. Bones

The rubber eraser on a wooden pencil also works very well for cleaning electrical contacts, especially small, sensitive, delicate electrical (big ones too), in case nobody is familiar with this; I learned it forget where an embarrassing amount of decades ago. Working on teens-40's tube radios and my '50 Harley WL's electrical system at the time.

Be sure to clear any debris it leaves, especially inside a dial, clock, etc.; it won't short out anything, but could cause clearance problems in fine mechanisms. A can of compressed air, judiciously applied, is what I find to be favourite.

This should be a slow, careful, methodical, Zen experience. Take your time, be gentle on delicate things. Sturdy things can withstand  a good bit more drubbing.

Hint:Don't press too hard (let the tool do the work, not force), then there will not be debris of a visible size, especially to most of us at our age :P. Just  a wee bit of rubber crumblies and dust. Use a can of compressed air, anyhow.

Hint #2: By nature of its shape and length, you can clean  contacts in many places unreachable by any other tool I know of. Try a car light bulb socket, to verify this, if you wish.

Hint#3, perhaps the coolest of all: you can shape the eraser in many ways, with x-acto, sandpaper, etc., to clean some really unique applications, most often without dis-assembly of the project.

I've healed many things in my life with this simple tool, and raised more than a few from the dead. Turn that dull into shiny. Period. Tight and clean is the very basic minimum of all good electrical connections. No exceptions.

Give it a try on an old parts phone, etc., and see what you think. You can always post thanks here later  ;), I reckon on being here for some time, God willing, and the crick don't rise...

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus