"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What kind of Finish should I do?

Started by jjflory, September 08, 2017, 09:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjflory

All,

I have the three SH Couch Intercom Phones. I have already stripped the black paint on the two "In Wall" and the black paint on the "On Wall" will need to be redone.

I have seen the "In Wall" in all colors of paint as well as Polished Brass & Nickel. I plan on mounting all three on a piece of Oak, finished like a Wall Phone.  They will be wired so able to have a conversation for FUN. The Oak will be approximately 12" high & 18" wide.

How would you finish the three pieces?

Thanks,

Jeff

AL_as_needed

Are these painted / "japanned"  brass? Or just steel? Seeing as you have three, easy enough to finish each one a bit differently. 
TWinbrook7

jjflory

The two have solid brass front plates the other is either brass or steel.

Thanks

Jeff

AL_as_needed

One might look good just as plain brass. Polished might be too much given their size, but hey, thats just me.
TWinbrook7

Jim Stettler

I have seen the flat ones in dull brass and also in shiny nickle. I think the nickle looks nicer.  The small one I would go black with nickle trim.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

andy1702

I think you should do whatever the original finish was, otherwise it's not truely a restoration, just a repair or refurbishment. So it depends what you are trying to achieve.

Personally I always restore everything to how it would have been at some point in it's working life. It sounds like these have always been painted, so I definitely would not do polished brass.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.