Shipping cost US to Canada

Started by poplar1, March 01, 2015, 12:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

Rates for shipping parcel via  US Postal Service to Canada:

(1) 1st Class International -- 4 LBs. (64 oz.) maximum
(2) Priority Mail International--by weight OR
Medium Flat Rate Box, up to 20 Lbs., $42.25, Prioriy Mail International

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Trying to calculate to ship a 500T and some parts to Canada. EBay won't let you print a shipping label -- or even see what the cost will be -- on an international sale until after the buyer pays...

So I went to USPS site.

Medium Flat Rate Box (max. 20 lbs.). $45.95

4 lbs. is the max. for a 1st Class International Package. 4 lbs = $36.50

Priority Mail International:
4 lbs. = $43.25
5 lbs. = $63.75
6 lbs. = $68.50

Do you think a medium flat rate box is safe for a 65-year old 500T? I don't remember the rates being this high! Maybe I could just buy a Greyhound bus ticket and deliver it in person.

LarryInMichigan

I wouldn't ship a 500 in a medium flat rate box.  There is not enough room for proper padding.  The last time I sold an ebay item to a buyer ion Canada, ebay had me ship it to Erlanger, KY, and they sent it to Canada.  Being that Canada is about 15 miles from here, it seems rather silly.

Larry

poplar1

You must be talking about EBay's Global Shipping. Apparently that is really expensive for buyers.

I'm looking at Large Flat Rate box. $59.95 for up to 20 lbs. That is less than 5 lb. rate using my own box. Last year, the comparison would have been at 12 lbs. before the large flat rate box was the cheaper cost.

Larry, perhaps you should start a "mule" service to transfer packages across the border. Looks like that extra 15 miles costs about $40+.

TelePlay

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 08, 2016, 09:38:17 PM
Being that Canada is about 15 miles from here, it seems rather silly.

Larry,

Can you just take the tunnel or bridge to Windsor and post it from there or is it a hassle now needing a passport and declarations and all that?

LarryInMichigan

Driving to Windsor and back can be a big hassle with long waits and customs, and the tolls are really high these days.  Also, the Canada Post rates within Canada are very high as well.  I think that there are situations where it costs more to ship a package within Canada than it does to ship the same package to the same destination from the USA.

Larry