News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NE233QF What's missing

Started by sebbel, March 07, 2012, 09:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sebbel

Ok since I'm also done with the N233H and Halifax seems to have and endless supply of affordable old phones. I got another payphone. This one is nearly flawless on the outside but is missing pieces on the inside.  Looks like the phone was modified for home use. I was not able to get a dial tone and is obviously missing some part.

Can anyone help me identify what may be missing. Aside from the coin assembly of course.

Seb.

Phonesrfun

It's awfully hard to answer the question, since the insides have been gutted and someone has put their own network inside, and probably just didn't get it right.  Remember that the original 233's all had external networks.  With the photo, and the number of wires involved, I certainly cannot tell which wire is going where.  

You could follow the thread I sent a couple of days ago in a different thread to a member whose handle is coors to check the wiring.  

It's always a challenge when you come across someone else's work and it doesn't work!

-Bill G

dpaynter1066

You are missing:

Coin Track and relays
Terminal Board at top
Coin Relay and Flapper

Looks like they have added:
AE Bell
Network w disc capacitors

Which is a typical rip and strip job.  Actually, one of the poorer examples. Without the coin track the coins will just fall down and short the coil.

The good news is: Repro tracks are available which will take care of people wanting to put a coin in.  And you should be able to get it to work as a phone as it is even without a track.  I have seen sheet metal funnels put in place of those, poss to jerry rig that yourself, no gong sounds then tho, which is most of the charm of a coin phone. otherwise, its just a phone isn't it?

Dunno, The network does not look like a 427 or 425 to me.  Can you stand up the base and lift the network into view so we can get a better look at it?  Then those of us who can will steer you to a diagram to hook it up.

coors

Here is the link http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6521.0
And it does look like the 425e  network I got from a 500 set. Follow his directions in the link , they are spot on.
Good luck

sebbel

Right so an unmodified phone with all bits in place is a fairly rare thing? The bits an piece should be the same as other 233? Good thing I have another one!

So the insides should be like in the pictures of my other one here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6441.15
Seb.

DavePEI

Quote from: sebbel on March 09, 2012, 05:59:25 AM
Right so an unmodified phone with all bits in place is a fairly rare thing? The bits an piece should be the same as other 233? Good thing I have another one!

So the insides should be like in the pictures of my other one here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6441.15

Hi Seb:

Unmodified ones still aren't that rare, but you do need to watch out for the modified ones when you buy them. Yes, it should look like your other one inside (only minus the hole :-).

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

dpaynter1066

I like the unmodified ones better because it's a lot more likely they are authentic and not made up of repro parts and I can animate the coin mechanism and get it to return and collect coins like it did when it was in service.

For some reason, the coin chute seems to be about the only "case" part not being made as a reproduction.

sebbel

I ordered a coin track. If I can at least get the coins to make the right sound and end up at the right place I'll be happy.  Even with that when I look at ebay I paid less on my 2 payphone than most people pay for 1 before shipping.
Seb.

Phonesrfun

You should still be able to use it as a phone, but you will need to decipher the wiring of the newtwork that is in it in order to accomplish that.

The network looks like a standard type that is in many ITT phones.  It is electically the same as a 425 series found in Bell System model 500 phones.  In fact it is so electrically identical that it has the same terminal markings, which are stamped in ink next to each of the corresponding terminals.  The terminals are in no way laid out the same as a 425 series network, but that it totally inconsequential.

In other words, you can follow the hookup routine that was posted earlier and it should work unless there have been some other hacking going on that is not apparent.

With the network mounted inside the phone, you don't need the terminal strip that is usually mounted at the top of the lower housing.  You would just terminate the handset red and one white wires to "R" on the network, and the black handset wire to "B" on the network.  The other white handset wire would go to the GN terminal on the hookswitch.

-Bill G

dpaynter1066

ITT ?  Thats why I didnt recognise the network.  All I know are Western 425, 427 amd 101A networks, except dunno what to call the wooden core networks in my magneto phones.   I need to take my ITT 2564 apart and see if it looks like what he has.

Phonesrfun

dpaynter:

Technically, the wooden coil in the magneto phone, as well as the 101A from a 302 are not a network.  They are single-component induction coils.

Two or more components make up a network, and so from the standpoint of a 202, the 101A induction coil combined with the 195A condenser forms a network, but even those are rarely referred to as a network.  I guess since they are physically not in one package.  

It wasn't until Western came out with the 425 that has not only the induction coil, but several resistors, capacitors, and varistors all in one package that they began calling it a network.  Other manufacturers followed suit.  ITT and some others even went so far as to make exact copies of the complete 500 set under the agreement that the Bell System allowed.

Later, as printed circuits became more the norm, ITT deviated from putting their network in a 425-like tin can, and instead just built the same circuit on a circuit card with press-in connections rather than scew-down terminals.

-Bill G

DavePEI

Sebbell:

Looks as though the same fellow who stripped Jeff's phone also did this one. The network in yours is NOT WE nor ITT; both it and and the ringer are from a NE Contempora phone. Same network and ringer as used in the other phone...

The only differences between yours and Jeff's are (a) ringer was installed in coin cox space, and network where the relay would have been, and in that one, he also took the contacts in the top section which mate with the back section.

Too bad we don't know who he was - he'd be a great source of parts. Just think of all the coin tracks, relays, chutes he has stripped out!!!

See:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=9568.0

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

sebbel

Can you match the phone number to an area on the dial? We'll track him down!
Seb.