News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE500 - is this original (pics)?

Started by FABphones, February 19, 2018, 06:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

Could anyone please tell me about this handset on a 1964 WE 500. Bell System?

It looks to be painted white (?) with the original beige (?) showing through, but inside the handset it is the same colour.
At first I thought it had been painted over.

I don't know if this is original as I know nothing about these phones so any info on this would be really helpful.

The base says r8662 and has C/9 above the 500.

Thanks.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

LarryInMichigan

It was common for phone plastics to be painted the same color as the original when the plastic was discolored.  This handset may have originally been white and then turned dark from exposure to sunlight and/or smoke, and it was repainted white during refurbishing.  I have seen phones like that a number of times.

Larry

FABphones

Thanks for the info.

View from above (colour - beige?):
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

poplar1

Might be ivory (color code -50). Definitely not beige (-55) or light beige (-60). What does the housing (phone shell) look like inside? What are the codes stamped in vermilion on the back of the dial?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector

If a handset gets painted at refurb and the shell is replaced (so it isn't painted) after more years of use they can turn out like this one. The shell discolours while the handset doesn't change colour as it is painted.... Unless the paint starts coming off like this one! The colour may not be correct but removing the paint from the handset looks like it might make it all match again!

Terry

compubit

I have a painted soft plastic ivory on ivory phone, where the paint is coming off - not the best quality paint job, but it makes it easier for me to get the paint off without solvents - just use my finger nail...

The base is darker than the paint - but all of the pieces of the phone were painted.

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!