"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Here's Something You Don't See Every Day - Soviet Bakelite Phone

Started by LarryInMichigan, July 15, 2010, 04:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320559152010

I couldn't resist this since I like phone oddities.  I am surprised that the shipping is so reasonable.  Nearly all of the items that I see in Europe have $50-$70 shipping charges.

Larry

HarrySmith

Cool Phone :)
Good price and reasonable shipping too :)
Brand new in the box! Awesome! Can't wait to see what it looks like under the hood ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Kenny C

I like,I like, the handset kinda looks like a F1
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

JorgeAmely

I wonder if the dial blank is removable and whether you can install a 3" dial in it.  ??? ??? ???
Jorge

LarryInMichigan

QuoteI wonder if the dial blank is removable and whether you can install a 3" dial in it.

I doubt that a 3" dial will fit.  I have some Dutch phones and a Danish one, and the dials on them are different than the US/Canadian phones.  I may try to fit one of the Dutch dials into it. 

I will be holding my breath until this phone arrives and I open the box and find it undamaged.  I expect that it will be a few weeks at least.  Soviet quality being what it was, leaves me wondering if the phone will work even if it is not damaged in transit.

Larry

Dennis Markham

Larry, I hope that it arrives.  The low feedback and $15 shipping from Lithuania throw up a couple of red flags.  I'm always so suspicious..........

I guess with PayPal you have some protection.

LarryInMichigan

I also payed paypal with my Visa credit card, so I can also dispute the credit card charge if it comes to that.  At any rate, $40 did not seem like a huge amount of of money to risk.  Stay tuned for more information as it becomes available.

Larry

Doug Rose

Hey Larry...the low shipping/feedback scared me off. It is a beauty, can't wait to see pictures....Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

I bought an identical one but without the box.A German dial or a dutch Heemaf dial will fit. There is a multi line version also. Not as nicely polished as a German telephone though
Robby

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Dennis Markham on July 15, 2010, 06:11:48 PM
Larry, I hope that it arrives.  The low feedback and $15 shipping from Lithuania throw up a couple of red flags.  I'm always so suspicious..........

I guess with PayPal you have some protection.

Dennis;
I was thinking the guy is going to take a bath on the selling price and shipping. Even combined I think shipping might be low from Lithuania.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

LarryInMichigan

It seems that international shipping from many countries is obscenely high, but from some it is reasonable.  I bought a phone from an ebay seller in Israel, and shipping was only $14.99, and I don't think that the seller took a loss. 

Larry

AE_Collector

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 18, 2010, 08:50:03 AM
It seems that international shipping from many countries is obscenely high, but from some it is reasonable.  I bought a phone from an ebay seller in Israel, and shipping was only $14.99, and I don't think that the seller took a loss. 

Larry

And how about Hong Kong! Look at all the new stuff you can buy on ebay for a few $ and shipping is $ 5. Apparently international shipping through the post office works such that the country that sells the postage keeps the $ and hands off the package to other country to deliver and they don't get any of the $. Keeps it real simple and on average both countries originate and deliver as many packages as each other so it supposedly works out in the end. That is how I hear it works...

A few years back there was a battle between Canada Post and the US Post Office. The country that collects the $ is supposed to deliver it as far as possible and then hand off but USPS was taking their shipments straight to the closest border to where it was shipped from and letting Canada Post send it cross country receiving none of the $$ for doing so.

A little country like Hong Kong has virtually no extra transportation costs collecting or delivering international stuff so they have decided to give their residents cheap international shipping. Canada Post on the other hand stays in business off international shipping revenue.

I sent a dial to England recently. Package rounded up to 8 ounces. Canada Post wanted $34 CDN. Sent it from the USA for $7.xx. Our currencies are currently within a few cents of being at par.

Terry

LarryInMichigan

The phone arrived today.  From the packing slip on the box, it looks like the shipping cost more than the total amount that I paid.

The phone arrived in excellent condition with no apparent shipping damage.  As I expected from the Soviet Union, the overall quality of the materials and construction of the phone is remarkably poor.  The bakelite has a rough and flimsy feel to it, and the metal parts are very thin.  The sound quality is on par with a 1920s candlestick phone.  Here are some pictures.

Larry

Dan/Panther

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on August 02, 2010, 03:25:09 PM
The phone arrived today.  From the packing slip on the box, it looks like the shipping cost more than the total amount that I paid.

Larry;
Nostrovia !!!
Exactly what I figured.
I would love to have one of those however.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HarrySmith

Amazing how flimsy something can be made and still work. that ringer looks like it would snap after one or two rings :)

For the curious among us, what was the shipping price on the label ???
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"