News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Now I'm REALLY miffed!!

Started by Jester, September 21, 2009, 10:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester

I know, after nine years of dealing with ebay, you are going to run into things that make you think  >:(, but this one just topped that!  I found these two last night, & knowing they would catch some attention at some point, I placed a SERIOUS bid early(within 30 minutes of auction start), hoping this seller would be honorable & at least contact me to see my intentions before caving into the first easy offer.  I get an email at 6:45 this evening, barely 24 hours into the auction, to inform me that my bid has been cancelled!  I don't care what he has or what it's listed for, his name is MUD with me, and I'll NEVER bid on one of his auctions again!!http://tinyurl.com/n8vhsk ( dead link 04-08-22 )
Stephen

bwanna

so what, this guy got a higher offer "under the table". i don't think that is fair. once an item is listed the seller should not be able to remove it. >:(
donna

McHeath

As I endlessly rant to perfect strangers sitting on bus stop benches, "E-Bay is not a real auction, it breaks all the rules of real auctions, it's like a "reality" TV show like Survivor!"

But alas it's the only game in town.  I saw these phone yesterday and thought they were a pretty interesting deal, but sadly you fell victim to the great E-Bay scam as we all do every so often.  

Dennis Markham

Stephen, they were on my radar too.  I'm still not sure of the color on the one.  I think it may be a yellowed Light Gray, but it appears to have a neutral gray handset cord.  It COULD have been dark Gray. 

I was high bidder on a beige Mushroom phone the other day too.  It was ended just the same way.  It was early in the auction.  I didn't expect to be highest bidder but there's always hope that it will fly under the radar.  I e-mailed the seller afterward and told him/her that I hope they got $200-300 for it.....I never got a response.

http://tinyurl.com/pl6gsf ( dead link 04-08-22 )

These 554's that ended today would have been fun to see.  Both appeared to be soft plastic with the wide hooks and 7 series dials.

Jester

I saw that beige U the other day, too, Dennis.  I remember a seller used to state some scripted reason an auction was ended in the past.  They don't even do that these days.
Stephen

McHeath

Think of the outrage if real auctions did this E-bay trick:

"That's 2550 for the early Monet charcoal of a girl with flowers, do I hear 2600?  Oh wait, what's this, oh we just got an under the table offer and are canceling the auction, sorry folks."

bwanna

mcheath, you're right that scam wouldn't go over at a live auction.

i was at an auction where the auctioneer was "in cahoots" with a buyer. he seemed to be very near sighted,  the only person he could see bidding was "his" buyer. consequently that person won certain items at a very low price. he even called her "mom." >:(

another scam i have heard of is a phony bidder in the crowd, running up the bids. :o
donna