TelePlay

GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

Quote from: bobv on January 14, 2019, 09:44:49 PM
Dial Testing - SAGE 930A
Check the #1 ____ PPS
Check the #1 ______ %
Phones are working

Video Url https://antiquedomain.com/video/44/dial-testing-sage-930a

EDIT:  The above quote was posted by bobv against the advice for posting such topic in the future. As such, it was immediately removed but it is now being used here to demonstrate how the topic should have been written. This, or any reasonable variation presenting complete and understandable information, creation of an educational post, will be expected of bobv in the future or the topics will be summarily removed. This is the only topic that will ever be used as an example of how to post this type of information completely and correctly.

========================

My Sage 930a arrived and after learning how to use it, I attached a dial to show how it is used to obtain the dial data needed to determine if a dial is within manufacture's specs or needs to be adjusted.

With the dial attached and the instrument in "Receive" mode, the numbers dialed appear in the Sage display. In the first image, numbers 1 through 7 were dialed, 7 being the last dialed as seen in the yellow circle.

Switching the instrument to its "Analyze" mode, each of the dialed numbers can be selected by moving the instrument cursor left and right to the any of the numbers to be analyzed individually.

The next attached images shows the instrument in "Analyze" mode set to report the dial speed. In this image, the number 4 was selected (cursor above the number) and the 903a indicated the dial speed for that number was 10.5 PPS (pulses per second), a bit fast but within manufacturer's specifications (cleaning an oiling this dial may result in a faster speed requiring adjustment of the dial governor to get the speed closer to 10 PPS).

The dial speed can be seen for each number dialed by moving the cursor left or right to any number shown (dialed).

The last image shows the instrument in "Analyze" mode set to report the break/make ratio of each number dialed. In this image, the number 9 was selected and the break percentage for that number is shown to be 69% (the make would be 31% or 69/31), a bit higher than manufacturer's 60/40 spec but could be adjusted closer to 60% by working on the dial pulse leaves.

The complete video from which these images were taken can be seen at

https://antiquedomain.com/video/44/dial-testing-sage-930a

PS:  I apologize for the jerky video. Next time I will use a tripod to hold the video recording device and either process the video to annotate segments or attach an audio dialog to explain what is being seen in the video.

bobv

so funny . you have to know what is this.  if you don't understand ask first  :).  in forum most talented people they got this video's point. flea market seller told me this phone from  ebay
Dial Testing - SAGE 930A
Check the #1 ____ PPS
Check the #1 ______ %
Phones are working

Test readings for NO:1
PPS ALWAYS BLANK
% ALWAYS BLANK

If you want there are talented  people in forum, confirm with them.

TelePlay

GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

Quote from: bobv on January 15, 2019, 08:25:55 PM
so funny . you have to know what is this.  if you don't understand ask first  :).  in forum most talented people they got this video's point. flea market seller told me this phone from  ebay
Dial Testing - SAGE 930A
Check the #1 ____ PPS
Check the #1 ______ %
Phones are working

Test readings for NO:1
PPS ALWAYS BLANK
% ALWAYS BLANK

If you want there are talented  people in forum, confirm with them.

This is a request for members to respond to the comments made about forum members in the last reply by bobv. What say you? I'm very interested in knowing how you feel about those comments.

Key2871

I think this topic by this member has been beaten to death. Let dead be dead and let it go.
I don't understand why he has to keep going on and on about it. Given that other posts have covered this like a blanket already... Enough is enough.

And yes, I believe John and others understand what you're talking about.. there is no need for demeaning responses to anyone.

K
KEN

Maybe we should have a thread called "Rocket Science Modus Operandi" for the well documented procedures.

Some people like to take others ideas or knowledge run with it, then make their own. Thinking that their way is the best.
When it is questioned this is what happens.
We have seen this before with other new members that have become guests here.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=21453.msg218696#msg218696

As it's been said already, enough is enough, drop it, and let it go.
To quote another member "It's a hobby, it's supposed to be fun" for what it is worth, take that and run with it.

Enough said.

FABphones

Oh dear. Well, I wouldn't normally, but as you asked... Sorry, but I don't like the basic and what I think is often misleading text and external links. It all appears to me as a way of getting hits up on the other site as the reader is led to think additional info will be shown there. It isn't.

From a mod (which I'm not) point of view, if, after kindly explaining to a member how to improve their posts to better put a point/technique across, and then subsequent posts remain in the same vague vein, being of no benefit to the community - it's just clutter. So I agree with the mods. Delete.

For what it's worth o.p. my area is restoring, I look back on some of my early posts now and I can see how much I've come on. That's because I put the time in to learn and others here have helped me by sharing their knowledge. I read other member's advice gratefully. As I was told as a child, 'Listen and Learn'.  :)

All assistance is freely and warmly given here. Accept it kindly in the well meaning manner of which it was offered.

I agree with key and duffy. Enough now.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Butch Harlow

Quote from: FABphones on January 16, 2019, 08:58:02 AM
Oh dear. Well, I wouldn't normally, but as you asked... Sorry, but I don't like the basic and what I think is often misleading text and external links. It all appears to me as a way of getting hits up on the other site as the reader is led to think additional info will be shown there. It isn't.

From a mod (which I'm not) point of view, if, after kindly explaining to a member how to improve their posts to better put a point/technique across, and then subsequent posts remain in the same vague vein, being of no benefit to the community - it's just clutter. So I agree with the mods. Delete.

For what it's worth o.p. my area is restoring, I look back on some of my early posts now and I can see how much I've come on. That's because I put the time in to learn and others here have helped me by sharing their knowledge. I read other member's advice gratefully. As I was told as a child, 'Listen and Learn'.  :)

All assistance is freely and warmly given here. Accept it kindly in the well meaning manner of which it was offered.

I agree with key and duffy. Enough now.

Well put and likewise.
Butch Harlow

Dan/Panther

There is no place on CRPF for condescending comments.
And just the opposite is the rule, we are here to share what we know, and have, and to learn those things that we do not know.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Doug Rose

When a Forum Member goes to the Dark Side, they never return. His reply was uncalled for with a tone of superiority to it. If the member is so smart and we are so slow, why bother with us.

I replied to one of the posts that all I needed was a 616 and that was my test bench. Before the 616 I had two pots lines as we had dial up. I received no reply from him.

I think he has Graduated to the supreme title of GUEST. It is a high honor to all the Members who are so much smarter than we are....Doug
Kidphone