and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Using a 302 base with a 4 wire subset cord connection question

Started by RotoTech99, March 22, 2020, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Will do.
SASE
I thought that did not look right but I was drawing a blank! Happens at my age, gray cells are not what they used to be. Probably killed too many back in the 70's & 80's ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

There is no Z on any of the 3 types of number plates or 5-type or 6-type dials after II 53 (2nd quarter 1953). If you want a Z, you would have to find one of the  P-340016 number plates that has the black dot in the blank spot between 0 and 1 -- but it has to be II 53 or earlier.

The 164A number plate from the 6U will fit your 6A.

Please show photo of the inside of the D8.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RotoTech99

Dear Poplar1:

I have some photos I've posted earlier, but I can't recall which  topic board they were under,; I will take some more here in  few minutes. I'll get the 202 discombobulated, and take a new set of pics.

BTW: My M1W straps are white, you'll see them in the pics.

RotoTech99

RotoTech99

Dear Poplar1 & Harrysmith:

Attached are updated photos of the innards of my 202 (215) D8, Including of the handset  internals.  I misquoted some of the dates because initially I couldn't see them very good, so I tried to get a good shot of them this time.

The condenser in the transmitter well is a 129 type, dated II-45, The rim of the receiver well is marked "86" and "256" My two M1W straps are white.

I also noticed a hairline crack at the back, but it's just barely noticeable, so I am still pretty happy with it. Since it is just hairline and slightly indented, should I "patch" that with PC7 or JB Weld? I think if I apply it with a toothpick tip, it would make a simple cosmetic repair.

My pics are attached below; I hope my updated pics and info. clarifies things more.

RotoTech99

RotoTech99

Dear Poplar1:

If you can find another dial plate like the one I have installed presently, that would work; my one on the 6U has an overlay on it which is badly aligned.

The original plate on the 6U was a 164C-3.

Also, can you help me identify the terminals on the 6U that are the two shunt terminals; I've seen that configuration on #8 dials before, but wasn't familiar with 6U's having that arrangement...

Usually like you suggested, I'd figure out which terminals are the two sets of shunts, and then pick which pair to use.

Thank You,
RotoTech99

HarrySmith

The picture of the internal wiring is way out of focus. Can you get a good clear picture?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RotoTech99

Dear Poplar1:

I'm not sure if these will help, but I've  pics of hopefully better quality.

My internal connections are: First M1W strap form W on switch hook to BB on 6H dial, Second M1W strap to Y on 6H dial.

Red H3C cord lead to R, White H3C cord lead to  W, Black H3C cord lead to BK.

Handset cord is H3C, 4 ft., dated third quarter of 1946.

I'm glad you were asking me for clarification, that encouraged me to take a closer look.

Thanks, RotoTech99

RotoTech99

Dear Harrysmith and Poplar1:

I received my 6 ft. USB printer cable today, and have made the conversion to a subset cord cable... it has four leads, red, green, black and white; all leads are spade tipped now and check good on continuity.

I believe I will have right around 5 ft. of length for space between the subset and desk stand.

My next step is adding strain reliefs and hooking it up for testing; I'm going to try my 302 base first, if it doesn't pan out, I'll try the 500 subset idea out.

As I don't have a B type ringer for my 302 base at the moment, I'll go ahead and check for dial tone, transmit and talk first.

The last picture shows the whole cable coiled in the packaging I received it in.

Pics are attached.

RotoTech99

dsk

It should be no problem to us a 300 series telephone as subset, all not frequency sensitive ringers should work. please post some good photos of the base so we may see how it is wired today.

dsk

RotoTech99

Dear dsk:

I'm using my cellphone's camera, which unfortunately doesn't have great resolution; it has a 5MP camera which is pretty tempremental, so once I get it he 202 wired up to the subset, I'll do what I can on that.

If nothing else, I can provide a list of connections and my results.

RotooTech99

RotoTech99

Dear dsk:

Attached is a picture of my subset mounting cord cable connected at the 302 base; I got the picture as good as I could

I haven't wired it into the 202 just yet, but will do that later this morning.

NOTE: The cable with red, black, green, and white leads is my subset mounting cord; white is substituted for the yellow lead. The black lead is on GND with the black condenser lead; GND is being used as a "floating connection" .

The red and green leads are from my line cord.

dsk

The pictures are more than good enough.
funny to see different solutions, I do often improvise and without any other diagrams I would have done it like this.
  ;) dsk

RotoTech99

Dear Forum:

Thanks to Poplar1, Harrysmith and others!

Good news, the 202D8 (215D8) is now fully functional and rings. It took a bit to wrap my "gray matter" around the information, but I figured it out.

My next issue is, finding an enclosure to put the 302 base into, which unfortunately I
don't have; I'd like to use an empty 534 subset enclosure if I could find one, please.

I wouldn't need it to be in perfect condition; as long as the lid and baseplate are intact, even if they're a little rusty, dented, etc that would work; I could modify the base to accept the 302 base, and fix it up.

if someone has a ringer box enclosure, even if it isn't a 534, I would appreciate a PM about .

Thanks for all the help and advice.
RotoTech99

HarrySmith

I dug out my extra dial rings. I found 5 with the Z on them. None are in great shape but if you want one you are welcome to it. Just let me know which one.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

150B won't fit on a 6-type dial.

164A is a universal plate -- fits 2-, 4-, 5- and 6-type -- but it apparently never had a Z.

Need a P-340016 (fits only on 6-type). Some have Z  (those made until 2nd quarter 1953)

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.