News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

CitriStrip - Not for use on hard plastic

Started by KeithB, October 07, 2010, 10:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeithB

I purchased an inexpensive and rough condition early 1970s beige 500 C/D for the handset and network this week.  The shell had a serious crack in the front and a chip was missing from the bottom of the crack.  The handset cord was cracked and split in several places.  Both the handset and the base had discoloration/darkening that didn't come off with typical soaking/cleaning solutions: dishwashing soap, PineSol, Zep Orange degreaser.  The handset appeared to have been repainted at some time, but it didn't look like a Bell System refurb as the paint coat was extremely thin and peeled off easily.  Still, there were a few spots that wouldn't come off, so I thought I'd test CitriStrip on the broken shell to see if it could be used on the handset.

I left a thin layer of the stripper on one area of the shell for about fifteen minutes, then rinsed it off.  It had softened the hard plastic so much :o the top layer wiped off with a paper towel.  :o

Lesson learned:  Although CitriStrip doesn't harm/soften all plastics, it's definitely NOT for use on your hard plastic 500s.  I'd probably keep it away from all other plastic phone parts, as well.

Dennis Markham

KeithB

I think any solvent strong enough to quickly or effectively strip/remove old layers of paint would probably have the same effect, only quicker.  I figured as long as the broken shell wasn't in usable condition, I might as well find out and share the results. 

jsowers

I've had excellent results removing paint from hard plastic with denatured alcohol. Get it at the mom and pop hardware store, if you have one nearby. Some of it is very diluted, it seems. I actually have a picture of the decent stuff, attached below.

DO NOT USE IT ON SOFT PLASTIC! It will melt it. On ABS hard plastic it works like a dream to get paint and dirt off. Thinner paint works better than thick. I once had a yellow 500 painted what I call baby poop yellow (sorry, Bwanna) and I took all the paint off and it was pristine original WE yellow underneath all the parts.
Jonathan

Jim Stettler

I don't suppose it works on polane paint?
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

jsowers

Polane is probably a lot thicker. I hear it's the toughest to get off of anything, but I don't think I've ever tried removing Polane. What I've been able to remove has been fairly thin paint.

The yellow paint I was referring to may have come from the refurb shop at Southern Bell or somewhere like that. I know my grandmother's 1977 yellow 500 has that same ugly greenish yellow paint on it since new and it also has one of those large hole modular inserts on the handset they did in the early modular days to convert hard-wired stock to modular. One day I may clean it up and make it look new. It's sitting in my aunt's basement, still in use.
Jonathan

Jim Stettler

That is probably polane then. It is a hard shiny paint. I have never tried removing it.
It does wear off on the handset and cradel areas.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Dennis Markham

Just this week I picked up a 172-C plastic backboard used to mount a 554 (or can be used for a 354).  It is black on the top side but Light Beige underneath.  Since I have a black one I'd like the Light Beige.  I sprayed it with Easy-Off Oven cleaner to remove the black paint.  No luck.  It must be Polane.  Like Jim said it is hard, shiny paint.  Since there isn't much of the surface that is visible when the phone is installed, I may give the sandpaper a shot.  

JorgeAmely

In my limited experience (one sample only, though) lacquer paint thinner will remove Polane, along with the top shiny surface of soft plastic phones. Once you remove the Polane paint, you need to sand the phone to restore the original finish. Here is a before and after Rose Beige 500 I did months ago.
Jorge

Jim Stettler

Quote from: JorgeAmely on October 08, 2010, 04:50:41 PM
In my limited experience (one sample only, though) lacquer paint thinner will remove Polane, along with the top shiny surface of soft plastic phones. Once you remove the Polane paint, you need to sand the phone to restore the original finish. Here is a before and after Rose Beige 500 I did months ago.

Very nice Jorge,
I would like to hold out for a method that removes the polane but leaves the nice shiny surface.
I don't think I could every get one looking as nice as you do.
Jim
You live, You learn,

JorgeAmely

Jorge

Jim Stettler

Jorge,
TV? I haven't used one in years. You have made better use of non-TV  time than I have..

I play with my phones instead of watching TV. I have fun,
You work hard and bring an abused artifact back to life.
I very much respect that. For the record, "My hat is off to you".
Jim S.
Jim Stettler
ATCA #1556
TCI

You live, You learn,

JorgeAmely

Thank you Jim for your kind comments.

I just felt sorry for the ugly duckling sitting in the lowest shelf for soooo long. It was during the days of EasyOff and the discussion of other plastic cleaning chemicals that I decided to tackle the job.

It has been now promoted to the top shelf on the bookcase.  ;D ;D ;D
Jorge