News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AECo Bakelite Era Phones - Manufacture Date Discussions

Started by HobieSport, October 27, 2008, 04:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I have at least one AE40 broken shell with a metal dial bracket.  I would have to look for the base that came with it.  I bought the phone for parts.

Larry

AE_Collector

Yes it is really just the very oldest AE 40s that have the steel bracket for the dial. At least I am pretty sure of that. Cloth wiring in those sets will confirm that itbisthe older rather than the newer phones.

Something else I should mention is that in Canada (so most of my AE's) the stickers on the AE's just show a list of years that patents were issued rather than the actual patent numbers.

I always assumed that two AE 40's each with 11 patent numbers would have the same 11 patents, WRONG. I just checked two phones and only three patent numbers are the same between the two. I wrote them down and will look them up.

Nothing is ever easy with AE!

Terry

LarryInMichigan

The broken shell with the metal dial bracket does have cloth wires, and I believe that it is Canadian.

Larry

poplar1

1,689,598 filed in 1925 shows the 3-winding induction coil. I guess this must be the anti-sidetone coil. It was issued 10/30/28 so would have expired in 1945.

Happy New Year everyone. Off to eat some collard greens and black-eyed peas for good luck.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector

I guess there won't be an infinite number of different stickers and stamps of patent numbers on these. The first gold sticker that Larry posted with 11 patent dates is identical to one of the two I just looked at here.

The other two that Larry posted have 9 and 6 patent numbers on them. Some of the patent numbers match the ones i have here and some don't.

Terry

AE_Collector

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on January 01, 2013, 12:40:04 PM
The broken shell with the metal dial bracket does have cloth wires, and I believe that it is Canadian.

Does it have patent numbers on the base? If it is Canadian it will probably just have years instead of patent numbers listed.

Terry

wds

Here's a picture of the inside of my phone.  Now I remember why it's a parts phone - it's missing the metal tap for the base plate screw.  Top of picture.  Notice this one has a third hole for the base plate screw on the side.
Dave

AE_Collector

Dave:

Something tells me that I have seen a similar dial bracket in a phone with no brass insert for the front base screw. I was wondering if the screw went through there and threaded into the back of the dial bracket?

That third hole on the side is for a second capacitor which is sometimes hung on that screw. Most often it was used when the capacitor on the baseplate was a single where as the one in your picture likely has the 2 in 1 capacitor on the base (4 wires connected to it).

This may have been to do with different frequency ringers needing different ringer capacitors.

I see chrome bands on that parts phones handset. You must have another AE that can make use of them!

Terry

LarryInMichigan

I don't know where the base from the Canadian AE40 is at the moment.  I took a look at the shell though, and it also has the extra hole on the side.  The hole in the front has a threaded brass piece which screws into the dial bracket.  I unscrewed it and took a picture of it. 

Larry

AE_Collector

That's right! Now I remember. That thing screws into the dial bracket holding it firmly in place and then the base screws into it. Clever except it is another part to go missing! No wonder someone at AE said "hey, why don't we just mold in bakelite tabs to mount the dial to?

Terry

HowardPgh

The version of the 40 with the metal dial bracket seems to be more delicate in the front.  I had a couple of them with a hairline crack right on the front middle where the hole for the screw in bushing goes.
Howard
Howard

wds

That's the piece I'm missing!  Now to find one...........   And yes, I'm saving those chrome bands.  Now that I've decided to restore this one, I'll probably just keep them on this phone.
Dave

LarryInMichigan

I looked a bit more.  The broken shell with the metal dial bracket is not the Canadian one.  The Canadian one has the dial mount molded into the bakelite, and the bottom plate is plain aluminum with nothing printed on it.

Larry

AE_Collector

Do you think it is actually Aluminum larry? I dont think that I have seen an aluminum AE40 base but silver colored steel is quite normal. Find a magnet!

Someone must have a smashed 40 housing with the metal dial brack to swipe that screw thing for the front base screw. I'll keep my eyes open around here.

If anyone else has pictures of the details of the stickers (and inked stamp patent info whether red or black ink) on the bottom of AE 40's post them here. I would like to see how many variations there are in patent mnumbers and then look them all up in my on going efforts to find a way to narrow the manufacture date of AE 40's and other models.

I will probably move most of this part of the discussion into the AE Base Code Survey topic.

Terry

wds

patent numbers - kind of hard to read.
Dave