"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 653-BC Wiring harness and restoration questions

Started by Grackl, September 20, 2014, 05:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grackl

Hello All,
New to the site (and phone collecting) and first time to post.  Just got this W.E. 653-BC on ebay and have a couple of questions about restoration.  I'd like to make this phone a "daily driver".  Everything seems to be there and in pretty good shape.  Although, the wiring is a bit questionable.  I'm wondering if any of the more seasoned folks  can tell me from the attached photos if the original wiring harness is salvageable or is it preferable to redo.  I'm noticing a few of the wires are not connected.  If it is preferable to rewire, does anyone know of a place where I can purchase a correct set of wires (complete wirign harness) that matches the old.

I'm able to interpret some of the wiring diagrams but my head is not quite wrapping around it yet.  I'm wondering if someone could post a couple of clear photos of the correct wiring /wiring type for this particular phone. 

One additional question:  How to safely remove house paint from the telephone case without damaging the original paint. 

Thanks and looking forward to any comments/suggestion.

unbeldi

Welcome!

That's a nice looking set.  Yes, the wiring has some issues, but there isn't a source for entire harnesses, other than from another set, and the likelyhood that one would be much better is pure chance.

Usually, the existing wiring can be used with good results and this is most likely the case with yours.
It will just take a bit of work to fix the wire ends, perhaps attache a new spade terminal. I see at least one is missing.
The wires themselves rarely go bad.
It's just always a task to identify the wire colors to attach them to the right terminal.  For this reason it is also not very helpful probably to provide pictures of other sets, because the colors are all deteriorated into shades of brown.  However, there are examples in the forum.

Here is a presentation of the diagrams and circuit discussion:
  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12347.0

We also worked recently with someone else on a 653-BC set.  The discussion is here:
  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12334.0

First step is to familiarize yourself with the components in the set and identify them in the diagrams.

Would you mind reading the date on the induction coil and any other dates, so we know the history of this set?
It looks to me like you have a very early one. The component looks like a transformer, made from iron plates, and in fact it is a transformer for audio signals. In telephony we call them induction coils.  It looks like it might read as  II or III 31, which would mean second or third quarter of 1931.

Grackl

Thanks so much for getting back to me.  I'll review the very helpful links you sent and see what I can see.

It would appear that the coil I have is a: II 37.  I suppose that means second quarter of 1937?  I'm attaching a top and side view, fyi.

Would the wiring be generally the same as your post with pics to gands-antiques?  A much cleaner unit than mine but I'll see what I can do.

Thanks Again!

unbeldi

Quote from: Grackl on September 20, 2014, 07:13:10 PM
Thanks so much for getting back to me.  I'll review the very helpful links you sent and see what I can see.

It would appear that the coil I have is a: II 37.  I suppose that means second quarter of 1937?  I'm attaching a top and side view, fyi.

Would the wiring be generally the same as your post with pics to gands-antiques?  A much cleaner unit than mine but I'll see what I can do.

Thanks Again!

Thanks much for the date. Yes, that means Q2 1937.  I was hoping for a very early coil, but that doesn't diminish yours in any way.
What it does provide is a likely date for the refurbishing of your set.  The set has green "Tel Co Property" stamps, which mean that the unit went back to one of Western Electric's repair shops for a make over. Originally it probably had a different type of induction coil.

Yes, the wiring should be identical to the one in that post.

tallguy58

Nice "hotel phone", as they're called.

Yours has a desirable 4H dial.
Does anyone know if 653's had "Western Electric" stamped at the top of them like the subsets did?
Cheers........Bill

Grackl

Unbeldi,thanks for the response. Very interesting how one can date the unit from the stamp that was used.  I am really enjoying all of the nuances of phone collecting! Thanks for verifying the photo as a template for my phone's wiring.  Hugely helpful.

Tallguy58, My case doesn't have W.E. stamped anywhere on it, fyi. I've heard the 4H is a good dial and what a fantastic sound!   

poplar1

Many 533As, 553As and 653As have WESTERN ELECTRIC stamped in the metal cover, rather than a decal.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: Grackl on September 20, 2014, 11:20:54 PM
Unbeldi,thanks for the response. Very interesting how one can date the unit from the stamp that was used.  I am really enjoying all of the nuances of phone collecting! Thanks for verifying the photo as a template for my phone's wiring.  Hugely helpful.

Tallguy58, My case doesn't have W.E. stamped anywhere on it, fyi. I've heard the 4H is a good dial and what a fantastic sound!   

You might find more dates on your phone that might match this date. For example if you open the transmitter assembly you will find an F1 carbon granule transmitter element that has a date on it. I believe, based on the style of wooden connection block, that your set was first manufactured in the early 30s before the F1 transmitter was available (1934), and that this type of transmitter--collectors call it the bulldog transmitter--was also added in the make over. When you look at the pictures posted by Poplar1, you can see the different styles of transmitters.