News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Just Started Restoration on a WE 305

Started by HarrySmith, March 16, 2020, 06:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

As I mentioned in a thread over the weekend I just started restoration on a 305 that has been in my collection for years. The dial was stuck so I sent it out to Arizona for Steve to fix. The on/off emblem was nasty so I sent that to Dencins to renickle(that's how long ago it was). I took it all apart over the weekend. The bottom of the base was in poor condition, badly scratched up so I stripped off everything I could, washed & dried it then spray painted it next day. Came out pretty bad. I had my body shop painter look at it and he told me it was a reaction with the original paint. He said I would need to strip it completely then prime & paint it. I asked another guy in the shop and he said the same thing, then asked me how I painted it. When I told him with a rattle can he said no way, give it to me, I will do it for you. Now the base is at the body shop. It had black felt on the feet which will be replaced. I also did my usual thing by putting all the screws & small metal bits in the tumbler today. Came out pretty nice. I have attached a before picture of the base and before & after pics of the hardware. I will keep this thread updated as it progresses.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

May we have some more before (and after) views of the phone?  :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Jim Stettler

Quote from: HarrySmith on March 16, 2020, 06:08:20 PM
It had black felt on the feet which will be replaced.
Black felt feet on a WE sound odd to me.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

HarrySmith

Yes, I thought the black feet were very strange also. I had not even noticed them until I took it apart.
I will be posting more pics as time allows and the work progresses. I think I will probably be waiting on the body shop for a bit  :o
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Harry....were they North Electric Feet? They would fit....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

I don't think so Doug. I think they were home made. I will get a closer look and post some pics soon.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

Here is a picture of the feet.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

Now some pictures of the parts while I am waiting for the base to get painted. Next step will be to work on cleaning and polishing the case.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AT2796

Hi Harry,
Did you clean the cloth covered wires from the condenser and hook switch?
If so, how?

Thanks
Andy

HarrySmith

Yes, I always clean the wires in any phone I work on. I use alcohol wipes.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

I just got the base back from the body shop. Paint looks good. I am working on the shell, had some pretty deep scratches & dings in it. It is going to be a bit of work but it should come out nice.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Babybearjs

I don't go that far to restore an old phone.... when things get repainted, its considered NEW.... the base looks good, but the character is now gone...
John

HarrySmith

You can do whatever you like to your phones. Repainting does not make something "new", just repainted.
The meaning of restoration is to return something to its former condition. I have restored many phones and this is the first one I painted the base. It was just in too bad shape to leave it. I have plenty of original 302's in my collection that are not painted. On some phones I just clean them and leave it at that, on others I try to get it back to what is was when new.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Looks fine Harry...it is your phone, do whatever you like with it. Can't wait to see the finished phone.

Some collectors put OPW Chrome bands on their WE 302s!....Doug
Kidphone

Key2871

Yea looks great Harry. I too like to restore a set to look as it did when it came out of the box.
So your doing fine. And it is up to the individual, some prefer rust and crud, others may clean and nothing else. You and I are a lot alike, things that are restored to beutiful pieces that are as they used to be.
KEN