News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

clapper moving against gongs when I dial

Started by southernphoneman, November 11, 2013, 06:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southernphoneman

can someone tell me why on some phones when you dial the rotary the clapper hit the gongs, any input would be appreciated, thank you, Gregg

LarryInMichigan

Dialing a phone or simply taking a phone off-hook causes small voltage fluctuations on the line, and those fluctuations are picked up by the ringer coils.  That is the reason that many ringers have bias springs.  The springs keep the clapper from moving on small fluctuations in the line voltage. 

Larry

southernphoneman

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 11, 2013, 06:28:01 PM
Dialing a phone or simply taking a phone off-hook causes small voltage fluctuations on the line, and those fluctuations are picked up by the ringer coils.  That is the reason that many ringers have bias springs.  The springs keep the clapper from moving on small fluctuations in the line voltage. 

Larry
thank you Larry. could that vary from one phone or another,i have 2 phones that do it,a 500 and a 554.the bias springs are in the same spot. Gregg

poplar1

You can also reverse the line wires going into each phone; this may reduce the ringer tinkle.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Contempra

is it a common problem David ? because  I've never had this kind of problem on one phone

poplar1

Quote from: Contempra on November 11, 2013, 09:00:59 PM
is it a common problem David ? because  I've never had this kind of problem on one phone

It is usually not a problem if there is a biasing spring. On the other hand, if there is too much tension from the spring, it may cause the ringer to ring barely or not at all.

More often it happens when another phone on the line is dialing out, but it may also tap the bells one time when the other phone hangs up. Some people like this feature because it lets them know when the line is idle.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Contempra

okay now I understand . thank you David for the information. I appreciate.

southernphoneman

Quote from: poplar1 on November 11, 2013, 07:08:09 PM
You can also reverse the line wires going into each phone; this may reduce the ringer tinkle.
thank you poplar1

southernphoneman

Quote from: poplar1 on November 11, 2013, 07:08:09 PM
hi, I did this and it worked, thank you very much once again, Gregg