News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

North Galion in Mahogany Brown or Maroon?

Started by Pourme, March 27, 2018, 08:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

~

My phoneitis has been acting up bad lately. I haven't bought a new phone in so long.....

I decided to go to a couple of collectible joints in the next county I haven't visited in a while. Around the corner in the first place, there were three phones. A AE40 plain jane, SC500 orange, & a North Gallion BROWN! All my attention went to the brown Gallion, asking price only $64.00! They wanted $89.00 for the very needy AE40.  I picked up the Gallion and looked it over good, no dings or cracks. After seeing the recent purchase of the same phone by LarryInMichigan and seeing Doug's pictures, I was so excited! I carried it around while I walked the rest of the store. When I got to the counter I put the phone down and said, "Will ya take $50.00?" She looked at me, picked up her calculator punched a few buttons and replied "I can do that". So we did!

I cleaned it up a bit with Novas 2. I tested it and it won't ring. The ringer was disconnected when I opened it. I hooked it back up but it still don't ring. I think it is straight line. It is all identical to another North I have that works. I'm still troubleshooting that.

It is a early '48 with a Kellogg Apr '59 dial.

My phoneitis symptoms have subsided a bit for now....

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Pourme

~

After a quick clean up...
Benny

Nick in Manitou

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Pourme on March 27, 2018, 08:14:46 PM
~

My phoneitis symptoms have subsided a bit for now....

Benny
Looks like you found a good temporary fix.
Finds like these are what can win the glory of "Find of the Month"
Great find,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Ktownphoneco

That's a beauty !   Nice find Benny !

Jeff

Doug Rose

Very nice Benny.  You sure can't beat the price! You done good.....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Hey, that's not fair!  You stole my thunder.  I paid twice that much plus another $14 for a ringer :(

Larry

Pourme

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on March 27, 2018, 09:18:35 PM
Hey, that's not fair!  You stole my thunder.  I paid twice that much plus another $14 for a ringer :(

Larry

I thought of you as soon as I saw that phone, Larry. When I picked it up I was expecting to see double what it was priced. Just the luck of the draw. It goes to prove they are still out there waiting on us to find them!

Benny
Benny

LarryInMichigan

I have my mahogany North reassembled (except for the ringer which should be here tomorrow) and working on my desk now.  I had been planning on taking some pictures and entering the phone in the FOTM contest, but it has been upstaged.  I will have to keep looking.  I have not had much success in finding rare phone deals in antiques malls.  Black SC 1243s, WE 302s, or AE40s for $135 are about what I usually find in such places.  The Antique Market of Michigan City is usually a good place to find plenty of outrageously overpriced ordinary phones (as some of our members have surely noticed).

Larry

oldguy

Very nice find Benny & at a great price, congratulations.
Gary

Doug Rose

Benny....is the North mottled with black or is just one color. Its hard for me to tell as the Maroon and the Mottled Brown looks so much alike, plus there are tough to photograph.

Below is the back of my Mahogany Mottled brown. This is really the only pic I have that you can see the mottle brown and black.

Second is your phone as bright as I can get it. If you have only one color, it might be a Maroon. Great Price, Great Phone no matter what the color is....Doug
Kidphone

Pourme

Doug,

Here is a couple photos of it in the sun light. It definitely doesn't have black swirls in it like yours. Must be maroon?

Benny
Benny

Doug Rose

Benny....it is Maroon. Looks great.....I just love the color Norths.....Doug
Kidphone

Pourme

I learned something. I didn't know the difference. I now have a maroon North...Thanks, Doug!

Benny
Benny

Doug Rose

Benny....I had had two false starts on finding what I thought at the time was a Brown North, now we know as Marron.  This is the link of my find in October 2010....Doug

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3509.45
Kidphone