News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

eBay Subset

Started by Konrad, January 25, 2009, 01:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Konrad

Newbie comment statement.  Seems to me for a 102, 202 and dial candlestick to work there needs to be a network in the subset?  Yet any box with a bell in it is a subset on fleabay.  Which is the correct definition?

bingster

You're correct in that a 102, 202, and candlestick will need a subset (whether the phone has a dial or not).  An item that's listed as a "subset," but which has no network or induction coil inside is not actually a subset, but rather is an extension ringer.   An extension ringer was not intended to be hooked up to a telephone, but was instead placed in a far corner of a house, all by itself, to let people know the phone is ringing elsewhere.
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Can someone post photos showing the inside of both, and maybe in oak also ?
For example the photo below is a Subset, that came with a dialess 202, what is the box, a subset, or just a ringer ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bingster

The oak ones are a bit old for my knowledge, so I can't tell you anything about them.  The only extension ringer pic I have handy is the 687, but there was another with 302 styling, and I've seen some of the big metal subset boxes used for extension ringers, too.  Here's the 687:
= DARRIN =

Sargeguy

That looks like it has a magneto inside it.  Does it have a crank?  If so it is neither a ringer box or a subset, its ...a crank box???  They were used for distant locations where you had to send a signal down the line to get the operator, similar to oak wall phones.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

benhutcherson

Dan,
What you have is a local battery subset. Notice that it does have an induction coil in it, so it could function as a (sidetone) subset.

There's a way to convert these to common battery using the parts there, but I wouldn't begin.

The old oak boxes were sometimes factory converted to common battery anti-sidetone subsets using a 101A coil