News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Just another black 500.

Started by Greg G., July 25, 2010, 06:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

But for $1.50, I couldn't let it go.  Fully functions, but that's no surprise to me anymore.  Only problem I found is the transmitter cap seems a little warped.  It took a hair dryer treatment to get it off, and it doesn't go all the way back on w/o getting stuck again, even after I cleaned and lubed the threads with soap.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Kenny C

i'll give you 3 bucks for it ;) ;D
hreat looking phone looks mostly 1954 and 56
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

LarryInMichigan

I would not have been able to resist for $1.50.  The Pacific Northwest sure seems to be the hot spot for phone bargains.

Larry

Phonesrfun

Great find, Greg.  Early 500 with bakelite G1 handset and leather feet.  It's definitely a keeper. 

Here in Walla Walla, there is a 1970-ish black 500 with no line cord and kind of scratchy.  It's at an antique mall.  They only want $80 for it.  They seem to be awfully proud of it.  I don't think it will go anywhere soon.

How many are you up to now?
-Bill G

paul-f

Quote from: Brinybay on July 25, 2010, 06:35:22 PM

<snip>...it doesn't go all the way back on w/o getting stuck again, even after I cleaned and lubed the threads with soap.

Try loading the threads up with rubbing compound and run it in as far as it will easily go.  Then alternately loosen and tighten it.  It should tighten a bit more with repetition.  When done, clean the threads.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Greg G.

Oh, just one other thing I think isn't right.  When the dial returns, I hear a clicking noise in the receiver.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 25, 2010, 06:39:04 PM
I would not have been able to resist for $1.50.  The Pacific Northwest sure seems to be the hot spot for phone bargains.

Larry

Especially this time of year, when the weather is nearly guaranteed nice, there are yard sales everywhere.  On a sunny weekend day, you can pick any neighborhood and drive around and find several yard sales.  I actually saw this one yesterday when I happened to be driving a bus route that goes down a main drag near my place.
- Mike Row
e