"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Truck

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, April 20, 2016, 08:13:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Here's a sneak peek!

The bodywork, paint, pinstriping, and trim are all finished! The only trim pieces that aren't attached are the aluminum fender trim rings, but those are going on tomorrow.

Apparently, after sitting without running for months, my truck has several problems, including several fluids that leaked into others! It was ready to go today, but they sent it to a mechanic's shop down the street to replace the fluids and give the engine a tune-up.

It should be with me tomorrow or the day after! :)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

HarrySmith

Fluids that leaked into others?? That is not something that should ever happen, sitting or drving. If you can you should get some more information, find out exactly what happened. Fluids mixing could be a major issue. I was a mecanic for over 38 years and still work in the auto repair industry so I speak from experience on this.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Stan S

Come on Harry.
No big deal. A little saw dust or oatmeal will fix it right up. Anyway, a little antifreeze in the oil is good for the cam. Keeps the high points nice and cool.
Stan S.
Honest Stan's Used Cars
Come on down!

RotarDad

I'm with Harry on getting more info about this.  One possible issue (as Honest Stan pointed out) is coolant showing up in the engine oil.  This is frequently caused by head gasket failure, as the coolant system is pressurized.  Obviously not good, and expensive to repair.  Get the low-down from the mechanic on this one....
Paul

Stan S

Harry and Paul
Remember the Cadillac HT-4100 engine? Cast iron block, aluminum head.
'We don't need no stinkin head gasket.' Use a liquid gasket material-faster and cheaper.'
One part antifreeze+ one part oil= zero camshaft.
Total tear down TWICE!
Three cheers for Roger Smith. FORMER CEO of General Motors
Stan S.

HarrySmith

Yeah, those were not GM's best years. The next Caddy engine, the North Star star always leaked at the engine split, the block was basically cut in half! To try to reseal that required head removal which ripped the head bolt threads out of the block. I did that job only one time! After that I sent them back to Cadillac!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

19and41

The one I thought about is the brake fluid, which will sometimes take on moisture during idle times.  I had a Bronco II 2.8 that always had a coat of what looked like chocolate flavored cold cream on the valve cover interiors.  It was long after I traded it off before I found out about the heads on those engines that were prone to micro cracks.  It never adversely affected the engine, though.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

WEBellSystemChristian

It was just some gasoline that got into the oil. Apparently, it's just something that happens on 30-year-old trucks, especially after sitting for 4 months without running. Anyway, it wasn't a big deal; the oil was flushed and replaced, and all is well. There are several other dried-out seals, gaskets, and parts that are being replaced too.

The front brakes are also bad, so new disks are being installed. The mechanic told me that I shouldn't bother getting rear brakes, they're about 75% intact. It's seems like they're a pretty honest enough shop to tell me that--they could have just as easily told me to let them replace all 4 brakes, which would give them an easy profit. :)

Something else that scared me when I drove it was the idle. When I sat at a stoplight for a few seconds, the engine would start revving funny, and the tachometer needle would start spinning back and forth! Almost every time, I feared it would die if I let it idle too long.
Apparently, my Idle Air Control Valve, which regulates the engine speed at idle by controlling the intake airflow, was bad. That's being replaced too.

I'm glad I didn't have any more serious issues, like coolant in my oil! :o Sorry guys, I should have elaborated on that one! These guys are pretty trustworthy; they would tell me if I had a serious problem on my hands!
Christian Petterson

19and41

When the diaphragm in the fuel pressure regulator begins to fail, it will allow fuel to get into the oil.  It can cause erratic operation of the engine as well.
— Arthur C. Clarke

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: 19and41 on July 11, 2017, 07:24:04 PM
When the diaphragm in the fuel pressure regulator begins to fail, it will allow fuel to get into the oil.  It can cause erratic operation of the engine as well.
It seems to me like the odd idle and gas in oil were unrelated problems. The engine ran beautifully when it wasn't idling.

The Idle Air Control Valve sounds like it kicks in only when the truck knows it's idling. It makes sense if that went bad...the problem starts at about the same time every time I stop (maybe a couple seconds after the truck is completely stopped) and they start on a dime.
If, say, the valve malfunctioned by closing and opening rapidly, that would explain why my tachometer goes nuts...the air being let into the engine is being cut off and forced in rapid-fire. Plus, it explains why it starts immediately after idle: it's designed to kick in when it knows the truck is idling.

The fuel pressure regulator might be bad, too. There was a whole list of parts that are being replaced, and they rattled it off to me, but I was too preoccupied staring at my truck! ;D
Christian Petterson

19and41

Can't blame ya for that!
— Arthur C. Clarke

Dan/Panther

Is the truck Fuel injected or carburetor ? If carburetor, fuel in oil could be intake manifold gasket leak.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Dan/Panther on July 12, 2017, 11:56:39 AM
Is the truck Fuel injected or carburetor ? If carburetor, fuel in oil could be intake manifold gasket leak.
D/P
It's Fuel Injected. I'm not sure what it is, but it doesn't seem to be a big deal. I'm sure it was a seal that was dry-rotted and leaking--Nevada may have been kind to the sheetmetal, but not the rubber components! :o
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

My truck is apparently finished at the garage; they drove it back to the body shop so the body shop can finish working on it. The last little bits to do are attaching the trim rings around the wheel openings, and giving the truck one final cleaning before I get it back! Yay!!! ;D
Christian Petterson

Pourme

I had a car redone like you are doing to your truck a long time ago...so exciting! I'm happy for you!

Enjoy!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service