News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Christmas 2012 Phones

Started by LM Ericsson, December 25, 2012, 03:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

Here are the after photos.  I used an amber shellac to refinish the wood.  In my opinion, it is a great finish, but just a wee orange looking, but an near perfect match to the original, as the back side of the door was not stripped or refinished and is the original finish that was on it, and it is a near perfect match in color.  The very brittle and fragile paper diagram did not fare very well, but is still there.  I did try to tape over the diagram and then shellac over that, but it was a disaster.  The rest of the back of the door was not refinished.  Fortunately, I took a couple of photos of the diagram, for a future photoshop project to restore that.

The nickel plating was done by Dennis H. of this forum (dencins) and he did a wonderful job.  I recommend him to anyone, and his prices are very reasonable and fast turn around time.  

The pony OST receiver is a hybrid of original guts (magnet, coil, diaphragm and hardware), and reproduction shell pieces, (shell, top and bottom caps).  The reporduction shell pieces came from Ray K. of this forum (kleenax), and are top notch parts, and reasonably priced.  The receiver works.  In fact, the whole phone works.

The receiver cord was original to how I got the phone.

The Western Electric water decal was from oldphoneworks.com.  It is a little smaller than the original label, but stripping the paint off entirely obliterated the original.

I chose to leave the face plate of the transmitter as originally found, black and not nickel.  The reason for this was because I could not pry the guts out of the faceplate without damaging the guts, so I left it.  The black also gives the phone a little character, in my opinion.  The 354 is a later transmitter than 1905, and was probably a field replacement of the original.

The original capacitor is very leaky (electrically, not physically), so I have a more modern capacitor installed so that the phone works.  that is the little yellow thing in the photo of the restored inside of the phone.  With the original connected, the ringing is tripped the moment ringing current is applied.

I am very pleased with the way it turned out.

Thanks for looking and letting me brag.  Notice that I found an application for my cell phone for use in restoring old phones.  I am using it to prop the 293 for photos.
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

Congratulations on that beautiful job, Bill!  Awesome!

Greg G.

I'll have to get a washer like yours, it did a great job of stripping the paint off!   ;)
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

Shhhh!  Don't tell my wife.  The washing machine will never be the same.
-Bill G

stub

Bill,
     WOW!!!!!!!! You do great work!!!!!!!!! Great job!!!  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

George Knighton

This was a Christmas purchase, but Vern is parsimonious with his shipping and I didn't get it until today.

I don't think it went to China, but it was a very slow boat!  :-)  Just kidding, Vern.  It's great!

Not a scratch on it...just needs a lot of cleaning, and maybe a little work on the receiver cord.

Annoying new poster.

Nick in Manitou

George, that is gorgeous!  I am jealous.

Nick 

Dennis Markham

Congrats George.  I'm glad that deal worked out for you.

P.S. I had to go to Dictionary.Com to look up parsimonious.  Don't ever remember coming across that word before.

George Knighton

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 02, 2013, 07:02:30 PM
Congrats George.  I'm glad that deal worked out for you.

Yup.  He needs to get out there and dig up those other phones he was talking about!  LOL....
Annoying new poster.

Doug Rose

Bill ....that came out unbelievable! I can't stop looking at it. Beautiful!....Doug
Kidphone

Nick in Manitou

Quote from: Brinybay on December 31, 2012, 02:01:18 PM
Quote from: Nick in Manitou on December 29, 2012, 06:59:56 PM
... the dial gets slow (and noisy) toward the finish of its rotation and the handset cord needs tending to.

It has a 6-A dial dated 9-52

Trying to figure out if I should have Steve Hilsz tune up the dial, or if I should replace it with an older one in good shape.  (Any thoughts?)

Nick

Do both, then you have a good 6-A dial for another phone that needs one.  You are going to get more phones, aren't you?  (Never mind, we already know the answer!)

Brinybay,
I am a little slow in responding, but yes, I think you have it right.  I will get that 6-A dial tuned up and then look for a correct dial for the '46 302...of course then I have to find just the right phone that needs a 6-A since I will have one of those on hand...then...

Greg G.

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on January 04, 2013, 12:28:25 AM
... I will get that 6-A dial tuned up and then look for a correct dial for the '46 302...of course then I have to find just the right phone that needs a 6-A since I will have one of those on hand...then...

... then you will get a phone that already has a 6-A dial in sad shape, so you swap it with the good one, send the other one to Steve, get it back, then you still have a dial looking for a phone.  Find another phone, ...
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Sargeguy

Nice job on the 293 Bill.  I am a little surprised that a phone with all the older components (122 receiver, oval escutcheon, heavy switchhook, and thumbscrew, etc. doesn't have the stamped patent dates.

I received a Christmas phone from my wife.  It is sort of a "Frankenphone X-Mas miracle"  I did a BIN from a seller on eBay for a nickel candlestick.  It had an older transmitter and a " PAT. APPLIED FOR" base with phenol grommet, all the nickel seemed intact  so it was a no-brainer Cost was $36 plus S&H.  When it arrived I noticed the face plate, cup and perch had been re-nickeled.  The transmitter was originally a 323 which had been xxx'd out and re-designated 337.  The perch had 20-AL xxx'd out and was re-designated 51-AL on the front of the perch.  Now neither 20-ALs or 51-ALs came in nickel, so I was a little annoyed.  Around this time my wife bought me a phone that I had put on my eBay watch list.  Now I usually put interesting phones on my Watch List.  Phones I actually want I bid on.  ANyway, Christmas arrives and I open my present, and see the baseplate of a WE dial candlestick.  On the base is a sticker from the seller.  I Thought "I've seen one of these before!!!"  When I pulled out the phone, it was a nickel plated WE-dial candlestick base with an original nickel perch and transmitter from a 20-BC on top.  I switched the parts between the phones and instantly had an original 20-BC and a nickel plated 51-AL abomination.  The dial stick came with a #2 dial.  Unfortunately the fingerstop was missing.  I will have to watch the seller's auctions to see what he did with that.

Here is a link to the phone I purchased:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200852783164

Here is the one my wife purchased:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200837760445

If you look you can see that some of the auction photos of the phone my wife purchased are of the phone I ended up buying.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409