News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Am I missing something???

Started by Sargeguy, January 08, 2009, 07:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

Why is there a bidding war over this phone?

http://tinyurl.com/8koe59 ( dead link 05-13-21 )
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HobieSport

Good question Sarge.  Plastic dial, rubber feet, questionable dates, seven hole earpiece, and doesn't that white tag on the base mean it was refurbished and the original base date got painted out?  My guess is early sixties frankenphone.  ???

On the other hand, nice big clear pictures, simple but decent and clear description, maybe it reminds folks of a childhood phone, and after all, it is clean and it works, ready to plug and play, and that's a selling point for the folks who don't want to tinker?

Seems like a good example of the effectiveness of good presentation that we talk about? The whole presentation has nothing negative said or implied. Let's watch how much it goes for.  I love a good mystery.

benhutcherson

Looks like a whole bunch of bids from 0 and 1 feedback bidders.

I'd chalk it up to inexperience.

Konrad

It's got pretty picture.  I may not know a lot about phone but I've sold my share on eBay and it's a good listing.  Got to love idiots bidding up the price if you're the seller.

Dennis Markham

Ben's right.  An eBay sellers dream---having a couple of rookies fighting over the auction.  The one bid in increments of $2 until he got to the top of the mountain.  They're not done, still a day to bid some more.  It's crazy how some buyers get tunnel vision and don't look for similar items and fight over one particular thing.  eBay loves it too.

McHeath

Actually it's just me bidding against myself in a war I don't think I can win.  As soon as my good half bids then my evil half bids it up 2 more bucks, and the whole thing starts all over again.  I may end up losing the house over this phone!

Steve

Usually when you see this type of activity, it's shill biding. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets relisted " due to non-paying bidder"
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

HobieSport

It sold for $36.89
Interesting...

McHeath

That was a 5 dollar phone, and maybe even a 2.99 phone on a good day.  The seller must be pleased. 

Konrad

I'm missing something here
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200296011755
$1525.00 for a Motorola brick cell phone  :o

Just stumbled across it as it is of no interest to me lacking a rotary dial.

Perry

I don't have any idea if that is a good price for a Motorola "brick." I suppose it's a lot less than the original retail price, though. I looked at its Wikipedia entry, and apparently it has a new version of the "Lucy phone" thing:
"DynaTAC models have taken on the nickname "Zack Morris Phones" because of their heavy usage by the central character of the early 1990s sitcom "Saved by the Bell"."

Seems like an awful lot of money to send to someone in the Czech Republic with no previous feedback as a seller, though...

HobieSport

Okay, that Czeck Brick auction just creeps me out!  :P
Thanks for the interesting find, Konrad, and the research, Perry. 
Ya, know Greg, this could be the beginning of a very interesting "threadship".  "Ebay Auctions Gone Wild". :o

Makes ya wonder that folks may pay silly prices for a phone just because a "Sillybrity" once used the same model  ("Lucy" phone, "Zach Morris" phone, and oh while we're at it, the WE500 could be a "Beaver" phone...)  If so, if I sell an AE40, shall I include a screen shot from The Maltese Falcon and advertise it as a "Bogart" phone?

Ugh.

Sargeguy

Here's one for you HobieSport...a pile of WE parts...211 housing with no dial or bracket or backplate...G1 Handset...old 302 base...for $36.99?   :o  The buyer obviously overpaid.  Or did he?  Can you spot the diamond in the rough? ???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=230317609193
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

benhutcherson

That does look like a really early 302 base-it appears to be dated 30-something.

I don't think that it makes the whole kit-n-kaboodle worth that much, though. I might have paid $20 in person(no shipping) but not more. 

Sargeguy

The 2-38 baseplate with most of its original parts is the "diamond in the rough".  WAs it worth $36.99?   aybe if you really wanted a parts phone with those dates.  The Spacesaver parts are worth maybe $10 or so, but finding the back plate will cost you $20 not to mention the dial.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409