News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My first 5302

Started by shadow67, March 18, 2020, 10:48:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadow67

I just acquired my first 5302. the guts are dated 1948 and the shell is 1961. I think it must be non-Bell System, as the handset is F1W and the shell has a generic Western Electric logo embossed in it. $15 plus shipping.

LarryInMichigan

That looks nice and clean.  I have one or two here which desperately need a good cleaning and polishing.  I really like 5302s.  Perhaps one day I will find one in a color other than black.  The colored ones are very rare.

Larry

HarrySmith

Congrats! Good price. Looks to be in pretty good condition. Complete with ringer adjuster, sometimes missing.
Nice catch! Did you open the handset? Which elements are in it?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

shadow67

Thanks. I was the only bidder on it. These must not be too popular, but I like them. When I received it it did not work, and I discovered it had an open in the receiver element. I just received a 1948 dated replacement and it works very well now. The transmitter is dated 1951.

shadow67

Couple more inside pics. I had to move a couple wires to make it ring after these were taken. Also I added a new line cord with a modular end so I could plug it in.

Jim Stettler

That is a nice find at a nice price. You should put it in the find of the month.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: shadow67 on March 18, 2020, 12:37:42 PM
Thanks. I was the only bidder on it. These must not be too popular, but I like them. When I received it it did not work, and I discovered it had an open in the receiver element. I just received a 1948 dated replacement and it works very well now. The transmitter is dated 1951.

I don't think that they are necessarily unpopular, but they are pretty easy to find, so the supply is more than sufficient for the demand.

Larry

tubaman

A nice 5302 like that is on my wanted list, but they are not easy to get for a reasonable price this side of the pond - especially so now £1 only get about $1.15.
:)

LarryInMichigan

The shipping from the USA to the UK would cost much more than the phone is worth, unfortunately.

Larry

Stormcrash

Nice find! I got my 5302 for $15 a little while back as well, though I was able to do pickup as the seller was the local Goodwill. Your one looks to be great condition, on mine the cord is a bit odd, has the wrong transmitter, and it was well scuffed all over, not helped that I didn't know tenite dissolves in alcohol so I streaked the finish in a few spots while cleaning it

Babybearjs

I love mine.... they are one of a kind! 
John

tubaman

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on March 18, 2020, 04:43:14 PM
The shipping from the USA to the UK would cost much more than the phone is worth, unfortunately.

Larry

Larry,

Indeed so. The other issue is as soon as the price of the imported phone goes over £15 (about $17.25 at the current crummy rate) VAT kicks in, and that's charged at 20% on both the item value and the shipping cost. If that wasn't bad enough Royal Mail will then charge about £9 to collect said VAT!
:(

FABphones

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on March 18, 2020, 04:43:14 PM

Larry

As is usually the way when we buy from overseas. In these instances such purchases are to add a 'want' to the collection, making a profit or keeping in line with the items worth are not an option.  :(
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble