News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Manufacturer dial cards?

Started by texbodemer, May 08, 2023, 04:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texbodemer

Out of curiosity, what would Western Electric phones, including the 500 series, 2500 series, Design Line, Trimline, etc. have come with when they were manufactured? Would they have had blank  "AREA CODE" cards like the modern ones, or would they have had a Bell logo followed by "Western Electric" or a Bell logo followed by the model (like the plastic inserts hiding the screws on the Trimline series? I'm especially curious about the Touch-Tone models, but am curious about all of them, along with other manufacturers, especially in the period between 1950
Thank you very much!
Nick
"Life is short, write in pen"

RDPipes

I believe if my memory serves me right that they were just blank with area code.
But, I know if I'm wrong, someone will promptly correct me.
Want some?

texbodemer

RDPipes, I just sent you a PM. Thanks!
"Life is short, write in pen"

RDPipes

SUnset2

IIRC, the phones came with a brown paper envelope, which contained the retainer ring if it was a metal dial, a metal backer, and a celluloid disc. There would not have been a number card. The installer would have a supply of number cards with the appropriate area code and / or prefix.

Kellogg Kitt

Stromberg-Carlson in the 1980s shipped with blank white number cards, no "area code," just blank.

I wanted to verify this before posting instead of going by memory, and I was right.  I just pulled out some of my old telephone boxes and here they are.  These have browned over the years, but originally, they were the normal off-white color.

Just going by memory (I do not have any of these to verify), I think ITT shipped with cards that were blank except for the words "AREA CODE".  I hate those!

Wade