News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Solve something for me

Started by Kenny C, September 15, 2010, 11:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

does restoring these phones decrease the value.

No, it helps the value
Yes

Kenny C

My Mother Brother and Sister are dead set on that it does. I know i doesnt but this is just so i will have you guys to back me up
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

paul-f

IMHO, the answer could be either.

If done properly with appropriate vintage replacement parts and careful cleaning and polishing, the value can be enhanced big time.

OTOH, I've seen "restorations" using cheap repro parts or way too much sanding that did not look appealing.  Many years ago, I was finding a lot of bakelite sets that had been through "professional" refurb shops (probably in the 1960s and 70s) that came had mismatched handsets.  The most common example is North sets found with AE or SC handsets.  I got them real cheap and added North handsets from the parts boxes at phone shows.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

bingster

I agree with Paul.  If it's done correctly then it adds a great deal to the value. 

Chippendale chairs? Don't touch 'em.  Telephones? Polish away.
= DARRIN =

Greg G.

The only situation that I can think of where "restoring" an antique or vintage item would only detract from it is when the patine is removed from metal artifacts to make them shiny again.  But I'm referring to artifacts other than phones.  Show them the before/after pictures of the 48 prototype then ask them if they think it's less valuable after the restoration.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

I think there is no correct answer.  Kind of like a car.  Let's say that you have a '57 Chevy with 10,000 original miles that had been stored in a garage and looks like new.  Obviously, you would not restore that and you would be stupid to modify it with newer parts.  On the other hand, an old rusted '57 chevy with 300,000 hard miles and missing pieces, you either restore it or scrap it.

The problem is, most cars and phones lie somewhere in between as far as their condition is concerned.

Even though these are our treasures, lets remember that we are not dealing with Ming Vases here.  We are dealing with telephones.  I have always maintained that it is totally up to each of us what we want to do with them.  I can't tell you how many I have screwed up over the years trying to "make one better".   So, I have trashed my share of them.
-Bill G

HarrySmith

I agree, each phone and each collector is different. The example of the prototype 500 is a good one, the "toaster" phone I recently posted about is another. Obviosly that phone in the condition I found it was pretty worthless, it was headed for the trash. After I finish I expect to sell it for good money as it will look great. Many of the phones I have sold would have ended up in the trash if I did not "restore" them, now they made me some money and are being used by people who appreciate them! Not all of those phones are 100% original and probably would not interest most collectors but someone liked them ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dan/Panther

I think a big part of that answer, is "Who is the person  buying it". Some collectors would not touch a restored phone, others will.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on September 16, 2010, 11:48:24 AM
... I can't tell you how many I have screwed up over the years trying to "make one better".   So, I have trashed my share of them.

That makes me feel better about screwing up the the original paint (and therefore the markings) on the base of my 5302.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

deedubya3800

Likewise, a phone is worth nothing to me if it's not in usable condition. I don't care if Elvis sat on it and smashed it and you can prove it; if I can't use it, I'm not buying it. But I'm sure there are several out there who would. I like old things, but I try never to buy anything in showroom quality. I always want there to be some kind of defect in something because I know if there's not one when I get it, there soon shall be. But that's just me. I don't have a lot of money to throw around on stuff anyway.

But if I were to buy something for a fine collection, I would want it to be all original and authentic replacement parts. No abs handset on a '49 500, no modern flat cord when it was originally round. I never repaint anything unless it just really needs it to be presentable.

Given the choice, I would rather keep a phone as found from a flea market, yard sale, or antique mall as much as possible. If parts are missing, I'll try to find authentic replacements where practical unless it's a part that is likely to be broken or lost again, in which case I try to avoid putting original parts in jeopardy. But so many finds are in such crap condition that they're better off being stripped down and completely redone or parted out lest they end up in the trash.

bwanna

there is a difference between restoring & refinishing. i think restoring an item to it's original beauty always enhances the value. refinish on the other hand would detract.

my definition of "restore" is to clean & shine, return to working order with the original parts.

refinish is to alter or replace what was original.

with furniture it is easy to distinguish restore from refinish.

with cars & phones the difference is not so cut & dried.say you have a phone or car that has been altered or modified over the years. you locate numbers matching parts & put it together as it would have come off the assembly line. is this restoration or refinishing?
donna

Sargeguy

My answer is qualified as well.  A common phone in beat up condition usually benefits from a restoration.  A near mint phone may not.  An extremely rare phone whose value does not necessarily hinge upon whether it works should usually be left as is.  I know when I get a phone I like them to be in as found condition with no monkeying around having been done beforehand by another collector.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dan/Panther

I'll be, it's Sargeguy....
How ya been ???
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

JimH

I think it depends on how bad the condition is.  I bought an ivory Continental 202 that had a few chips on it's original 1955 paint job.  The paint on the ear cap was terribly bubbled off (from the heat of human ears over the years).  I chose to repaint just the ear cap, and found an exact match in spray paint.  You cannot tell now.  I think I improved the appearance and value.  A few chips on the body is acceptable, and probably wouldn't look original unless they were there.  If I were selling it, I would let it be known that it had a repainted part.
Jim H.

rp2813

If they think restoring phones decreases their value, maybe you should steer them towards the Honorable Dennis Markham's web site.  If that doesn't change their minds nothing will.
Ralph