News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ITT Slimline wont ring

Started by carl, October 18, 2009, 04:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carl

Okay,I spoke too soon.In my zeal  on my latest buy..two trimline phones,I simply plugged them in and they worked,but
today I noticed that neither would ring.Taking the covers off,I found the blue,gray,and gray/red wires unhooked and taped over,
preventing them from making contact inside.Can anyone tell this lifetime novice where they should go,to get the phones ringing? It says
ITT and 3-83 and 3-84 on each.I've enclosed a couple of pics.Thank you,Carl

JorgeAmely

Do these use or need a polarity guard?

Jorge

carl

Jorge,thanks for the reply.Can you expand on your question? I'm unsure if I'm following you.Carl

McHeath

I don't think they need a polarity guard or would have any issues there.  The gray/red and blue/gray are okay to be unconnected, and in fact usually are like that from the factory.  You probably need to move the black wire from the ringer to L1.

carl

Well,I've got two black wires,one attached to a G,and one right under it,and unnamed.I don't see any L1 though.

Phonesrfun

According to the ITT Trendline schematic, the L1 wire is where the green wire from the outside connects.  A ringer black should be there, and a ringer red should connect to terminal K on the board,  A yellow ringer capacitir should also be connected to terminal K and the other side of the ringer capacitor should connect to terminal A.

If your terminal board has a "G" connection, it is not shown in the ITT book.  Maybe you can get a better picture of the terminal board at some point

The other ringer wires, such as Blue, gray, and gray/red are not to be hooked up, and need to be individually taped so they don't touch anything else. 

The rotary dial phone would not need a polarity guard.  Carl:  A polarity guard is something that lets touchtone dials work no matter which way the phone is connected to the line.
-Bill G

JorgeAmely

Sorry, I didn't see the rotary dial. No polarity guard needed.
Jorge

carl

Yes,it does have a G connection.Do I connect anything to it?

Phonesrfun

Can you first tell me where the red from the ringer and the black from the ringer are connected?  Also, please can you verify that the yellow capacitor I see in the photo is connected to terminals A and K on the terminal board?

Thanks....More to follow.
-Bill G

carl

Thank you! I connected the black wire that was on the G to the two green wires and it rings perfectly.I never would have gotten it
without some great input from the members on this site.My thanks to all.Carl NY

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

McHeath