News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern Telecom 5 Line Keyset Questions

Started by mienaichizu, February 13, 2009, 01:34:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mienaichizu

I just recently bought a Northern Telecom TT multi-line, it appears that it has been modified for modular use. The casing and handset has been painted over and the bell ringer replaced with a buzzer. The phone is working, it can dial and receive calls but the buzzer is not working. How can I make the buzzer works, or rather replace it with a bell ringer? Can anyone help me on this? below are the photos

Steve K

Those buzzers were used for intercom signaling.  They operated at a much lower voltage than the ringer and can not be used in place of the ringer on a standard telephone line.  Your phone was originally designed for a 1A2 key system.

Steve

McHeath

So Steve, how would this phone ring originally?

Steve K

Well, it's hard to say for sure.  It probably had a ringer at one time but it may never have been set up to ring.  Key systems had many variations to them depending on the particular installation and subscriber's needs.  It is possible that this phone was in an office where the line was answered by a secretary in a nearby office so a ringer was not needed.  Of course one could see which lines were receiving a call by the lamp flash on the keys (buttons).

Steve

Steve K

BTW, when do I lose the newbie status?  Technically I am a charter member althought I never requested that for my avatar.

Dennis Markham

Steve, send Mark an e-mail and I'm sure he'll take off the Newbie designation. 

mienaichizu

so the buzzer won't work on a regular phone line

anyway, the phone is usable but no ringer

Bill

Steve -

I think that the Status (Newbie, Jr Member, Sr Member, Hero, etc) has to do with the number of posts, rather than length of membership. The threshold for Jr Member may be on the order of 50 posts. It is automatically assigned by the software - I don't think Mark can change it.

Bill

Steve K

Hi Bill:

It's not a problem.  I figured that is what it was.

Steve