News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Converting a WE 102 Manual Service To a 102 Dial With a 4H Dial

Started by gands-antiques, June 01, 2013, 01:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

Gary, any of the dials mentioned above is "correct" electrically, but all I'm saying is that you can take advantage of the markings by using it on a phone where the dial is surface mounted so that the dates are visible.

Many of these converted dials were used on 302s or D-1 mountings where you can't see the dates. When we were going through hundreds of 302s that came from lease returns, many of the 302s that had never been rebuilt had dials just like yours, especially the 1941 sets for some reason. I never have understood why new phones had these converted dials. All the dates were 1941 including the conversion date on the dial.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

zaphod01

Poplar1,

I built the 4-wire 425B subset based on information in another thread. The 202 has a dial blank in it now and it seems to work fine (other than the ring sounding funny for a 202).

Green to GN
Black to B
Red to R
Yellow to L2
L1 jumpered to RR

What would be my fifth connection? What dials would be appropriate for a D1 base 202 dated 1936?

Thanks,
Robert
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

gands-antiques

David,

Thanks for all of the valuable information you have provided. I really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Gary

poplar1

Quote from: zaphod01 on June 02, 2013, 07:28:27 AM
Poplar1,

I built the 4-wire 425B subset based on information in another thread. The 202 has a dial blank in it now and it seems to work fine (other than the ring sounding funny for a 202).

Green to GN
Black to B
Red to R
Yellow to L2
L1 jumpered to RR

What would be my fifth connection? What dials would be appropriate for a D1 base 202 dated 1936?

Thanks,
Robert

http://telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=2139&Itemid=11

In 1936 it would have had a 4H.

Why do you want to use a 425B instead of a 101A?

gands-antiques

David,

Do you why it will damage an E-1 handset if a B-1 (102) is operated for extended use without a subset?

I just assembled my 102 with the 4H dial we have been discussing (It looks great) and I hardwired it to test the phone and I could receive calls but there was a lot of static. I figured I didn't have all of the wiring correct.

Thanks,
Gary

zaphod01

David,

I used a 425 because I didn't have a 302 base I wanted to give up until I was sure I could get a topper from Kleenax. He said he was out of stock but might have some after Lancaster. I'm high bidder on another candidate 302 that closes tonight.

The cable from my 202 had only 4 wires.

I'll keep an eye out for a nice 4H.

Thanks, as always!
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

poplar1

Quote from: gands-antiques on June 02, 2013, 05:47:12 PM
David,

Do you why it will damage an E-1 handset if a B-1 (102) is operated for extended use without a subset?

I just assembled my 102 with the 4H dial we have been discussing (It looks great) and I hardwired it to test the phone and I could receive calls but there was a lot of static. I figured I didn't have all of the wiring correct.

Thanks,
Gary

The receiver works on AC current produced by the induction coil in the subset. If you don't have a subset, then your receiver is working on DC which will damage the receiver. You also have to worry about acoustic shock (i.e., your eardrums) if you have the receiver close to your ear when answering, dialing or hanging up.

Static is usually caused by one of the following:

Defective cords---try shaking each cord while you are listening and see if it gets worse.

Loose connections--make sure all screws are tight.

Bad transmitter--replace transmitter; if it is a 395B (bullet), these almost always need to be upgraded to a 625A (F-1 transmitter capsule).

May also be dirty contacts on the dial, the hookswitch or the transmitter.

gands-antiques