News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE Flag sign

Started by FABphones, November 23, 2018, 05:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

I'm in need of a printout for the flag sign on top of an AE. Does anyone know where I might find one I can download?

Or I can easily make up my own and print that out, I just need a photo of a genuine one for ideas, if anyone could add one to this thread please?

Thanks.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Just google "payphone top flag images"

FABphones

Quote from: Duffy on November 23, 2018, 07:01:10 PM
Just google "payphone top flag images"

I've already had a look and found just three but I don't know if they are accurate copies, or made up and would therefore never have been on an AE.   :-[

I'll try again using your wording. Thanks.

ETA: Found this. Would it be correct for an AE? I'm not sure when the coins would have needed to be inserted in mine as top plaque is missing. Might be an LPB, not sure how to date it.

poplar1

Most of the WE, AE and NE top signs are wider than that, except for the very early ones. The one you have pictured is similar to a WE 1B sign, and takes the same size instruction card as would go in the instruction card holder that mounts below the dial.

Here are 2 AE instruction cards, but, again, the smaller size usually found below the dial:
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

The wider top flags look like this one for sale by oldphoneshop:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Automatic-Electric-Electric-Payphone-Telephone-Top-Flag-sign-card-set-frame/200934236499

(Sorry, I don't know how to do a screen shot)

poplar1

Here is an early 1B top sign on a Gray/Western 50G. Most of the smaller top signs are repros, or have been cut down from to size from the wider type.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18173.msg187332#msg187332

poplar1

The front of your lower housing, where "Automatic Electric Company" is stamped,  is vertical rather than slanted. This is the later type that AE manufactured until 1972. Not sure when that design change was made.

FABphones

Thanks for the replies. I will draw something up from the examples given.

The flag sign I have is the same wider one as in the photo above.

Thanks again.  :)

Haf

Some AE top flag signs I found somewhere on the net but forgot when and where. Maybe those will help.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474