News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

634 Subset Ringer

Started by djtownsend, June 20, 2011, 05:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djtownsend

I am in the process of restoring a 634 Subset to go with my 202 WE phone.  I took it all apart for cleaning including the ringer.  Before I took anything apart, I tested it and it worked with my 202 phone.  As for the ringer, I removed the coils of the 500 model ringer so I could clean the remaining parts but when I am now putting everything back together, the ringer no longer works.  I know the hook ups are ok because I had another 634 subset w/ a 700 series ringer and it works in my original subset.  Did I screw up the ringer by removing the coils?  Is there anyway I can fix this?  I'm even willing to replace the ringer but can't find it on either OldPhoneWorks or ebay.  I may have to buy another 634 subset just for the ringer.

Does anyone have any experience with this or did I just screw up the ringer by disassembling it?  If I do have to replace it, does anyone on this forum have either a 500 or 700 series ringers that they would like to sell?  I'd hate to waste the reset of the subset just because I don't have a ringer for it.

Any help here would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Dan

Phonesrfun

The numbers 500 and 700 are the coil resistances of the ringer coils in ohms, and not the ringer model number.  The coils should be wound in series with each other, and have a piece of wire bridging the two windings right in the middle between the two.

I would not think that on the older model ringers that removing the coils would have any detrimental impact, providing they are replaced properly.  The total DC resistance of the ringer coils that have the 500 imprinted on the coils should be approximately 1,000 ohms as measured with an ohm meter.  The 700 ohm per coil ringer should have a total DC resistance of approximately 1400 ohms measured with an ohm meter.

Have you checked the resistance?

Perhaps a photo of how you have reassembled the ringers would also help.
-Bill G

djtownsend

Thanks for the information that the number on the coils means the ohms and not the model number.  Hey, I learn something everyday.

Anyways, below are two pictures of the ringer.  I did have to re-solder one of the wires as you can see one wire connection shinier than the other.  They may be a problem but the wire is solidly bound to the terminal.  When I disassembled it, I did not disconnect the two coils from each other but removed the two coils as one unit.

How do the pictures look?  Is there a better view that would be more helpful?  You will notice that there are two phillips screws on it as I had to drill out the existing ones and the only replacement ones I could find were phillips.  I would have preferred slotted but Home Depot only had phillips.

Any feedback you have is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dan