and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

W.E. 102, 202 and subset easy wiring diagrams

Started by bingster, March 14, 2009, 02:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Thanks Bill ,here's the way it currently looks:

Network (wired 102 style)

Wiring in base. (the  mounting cord is brown, handset cord black rubber)

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Phonesrfun

Dan:

The red wire should be connected to R, Not RR.  The jumper should be between RR and L1 as you have it.

See the attached for the place to connect the red deskset wire.
-Bill G

Dan

Hey Bill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5URYhXE55bo&feature=related     --> (  dead link 7-14-17 )

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Phonesrfun

I love that scene.  Very appropriate to telephone repair.  Good work!
-Bill G

DARK FATHER

Hello!  I am new here and need the wiring diagram to install a mini network into my WE 202.  It is a 1934 WE 202 with a 1948 5H dial and a F1 handset.  I already rewired it using a diagram on one of these forums, but it will not dial out, it just "acknowledges" the fact that I used the dial.  It did not acknowledge the dial until I rewired it either because the dial was apparently not hooked up inside it.  I am not sure why.  Help is appreciated!

Phonesrfun

The first question is which mini network are you needing to wire?  Is it the AE mini network from an AE Style Line?
-Bill G

DARK FATHER

Yes I believe that it is.  It looks as if it will barely fit into the phone.  This will make it possible to actually dial, right?

Phonesrfun

Dark:  Is that a play on Darth Vader?  Welcome to the forum!  And if appropriate, may the force (of phone collecting) be with you!

To answer your last question, yes that will need to be there not only to dial out, but to properly match the line to the phone, if it is wired correctly.  

Since there are several variations out there, perhaps some photos of what you have would help.  Since a photo can tell a thousand words, it is better if we can start there.  Otherwise we can be here until Luke Skywalker takes over the universe exchanging various posts.

If you can, take a photo of the insides of the phone that show clearly (and hopefully in focus) how it is wired and what the mini network looks like.

Sorry for the teasing, but I am a tease.
-Bill G

DARK FATHER

Funny that you should mention Darth Vader.  The Dutch words "darth vader" translate to dark father!  There is a story behind my screen name that I might share some day.  When I get back into town I will send pics of my rewired phone.  I have viewed others on the internet and what I have is almost 95% universal.  The other 5% have a wire or two in different locations.  I also have a pic of the mini network.  It looks HARD to install in the phone.

Jim Stettler

I just searched Remco's site with "cording". several documents came up. The first has quite a few of the wire drawings. I suspect so do the others.

I think everyone really likes the colored drawings, If you get bored this winter Bingster, maybe you could color a few  :)

Just a thought,
Jim

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

DARK FATHER

Here is my rewired phone.  The black wires I am uncertain about even though the diagram I used showed it explicitly. A diagram for this would be greatly appreciated!  I tried to use one I found on the internet, but it did not make sense.

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/2506/luatCN.jpg

Jim Stettler

that is an AE mini network, they were used in the stylelines (AE trimline).

I think old phone works has a sheet of diagrams for wiring this network to many different phones. The diagram sheet was originally from house of telephones and I suspect a copy is probably in Remco's site.

This is what works for me, when trying to follow diagrams:

When trying to reason out the diagrams, keep in mind there are various components that all phones have:
Line In (2 wires Tip and Ring)

Transmitter (2 wires)
Reciver (2 wires)

[the transmitter and receiver may share a common wire, consider it 2 seperate wires for each with a common tie point.]

at least 1 switch.
a speech network

If it is dial then it also has a set of pulsing contacts and a set of shunt contacts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Find these parts on your phone and then on the diagram.

Concentrate on 1 element at a time. Keep at it until all the components are landed. Test it out.

You still might be fuzzy on the diagram, but you will probably have the phone wired correctly.

If the phone works then study the diagram against the parts and it will probably become a little clearer.

Works for me,

Jim
You live, You learn,

DARK FATHER

If memory serves the indecipherable diagram I mentioned WAS from the website you mentioned.  It is hard to believe that at this time I have been unable to find a streamlined idiot-proof wiring diagram for this!

Jim Stettler

That is the same drawing oldphoneworks has.
My house of phones drawing is a different drawing, but it shows the same layout.

I havn't studied the photos. Assuming that all your wiring is correct, you could have a bad mini neywork.
Just a guess,
Jim
You live, You learn,

Wallphone

The drawing that was posted was from Ray Kotke. Everything that you need should be on this page.
> http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=search_result&Itemid=11(dead link 1/23/21)