News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I'm looking for a rotary payphone.

Started by dsk, August 22, 2013, 04:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

Its probably just a crazy idea, shipping alone will be more than $100.
So what do I look for? An original rotary payphone with rotary dial and all the parts inside, just as it was before.
My goal is to make it work, collect or refund money without any modifications from how it was.
It does not have to look nice, just work.
Why not a local Norwegian one? If I could get one, but I have never seen one for sale at all.

If you have one fore sale not too expensive, please p.m me.

If you are listing one at Ebay and are willing to send to Norway please P.M.

Or if you have any good advice, yes thank you. (I have already got one advice: Forget it!)

dsk

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: dsk on August 22, 2013, 04:50:38 PM
So what do I look for? An original rotary payphone with rotary dial and all the parts inside, just as it was before.
My goal is to make it work, collect or refund money without any modifications from how it was.
It does not have to look nice, just work.
Why not a local Norwegian one? If I could get one, but I have never seen one for sale at all.

If you have one fore sale not too expensive, please p.m me.

If you are listing one at Ebay and are willing to send to Norway please P.M.

Or if you have any good advice, yes thank you. (I have already got one advice: Forget it!)

dsk

I occasionally see Soviet payphones listed by sellers in eastern Europe.  Shipping to Norway from there should be much less expensive, but those phones are sure ugly.

Larry

Haf

German payphones since the mid 50's work with a 16 kHz charge impulse send from the central office after a certain time period (different either local or long distance etc). If you have a common landline in Germany, you have the option to get this impulse sended for your tariff time switch if you have one. So nearly every old payphone and the actual too can be run like they should here, no special payphone line needed. Different from the US ones. No controller needed. But I think that's nothing for you as you won't have any fun just to plug it in and it works, do you? :)

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

dsk

That 16 khz system was used here too, and that would be ok to fettle on too. I just have to make a 16 kHz generator  :D Before the 16 kHz they also used some reverse polarity system, just for local calls, and 1 coin pr call.
Manual billing on long distance.

The Russian ones are sure ugly, about like ours  ;)
The shipping and ebay prices are huge, so a German, Norwegian or American one is preferable.

dsk

Haf

maybe something like this:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/FMN-S-500-Munztelefon-/111146401016?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item19e0d77cf8

€22 BIN or make offer :), this will do for playing around :)

This is a German cocot, no official Telekom phone, but works same.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Clubtelefon-Euro-Munztelefon-Munzapparat-Telekom-Telefonzelle-/121160666882?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item1c35bd0f02

or this one with bidding. If you want me to bid, just tell me. If you like I can help you for the case the seller don't want to ship abroad.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

dsk

No, thank you it has to be a rotary  :D
dsk

dsk

OOPS  This one looks like it has been a rotary upgraded to push button.
Looks to go for an OK price, but they don't want to ship to Norway.
http://tinyurl.com/lcq5r94

dsk

Jim Stettler

The  3 slots can be made to work with a line simulator. Some phones were "upgraded" with a tektronics circuit board, these don't work with most line simulators.
Are you planning on buying or building your line simulator?
Stan S. sells a great simulator  current ebay # 461243b075
You should print out his entire listing, it is full of great payphone info. A side feature of Stan's simulator is that it makes a great diagnostic tool when you are try to get your phone back to the original configuration.

There are other simulators and plans available, but this is a very well built device that is also a great tool.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: dsk on August 22, 2013, 04:50:38 PM

As a rule of thumb: I consider shipping and insurance  on any payphone (3 slot, panel, single slot) within the US at $100.00. I would research your shipping options (size and date) and cost before you "shake" on the deal.

I bought a panel phone boothette for less than $100.00 by the time I got it I was in it for about $500 in cash and trade. It would of been smarter to pay for it and tell them to keep it. My cost was shipping, insurance packing material and about 1-2 hours labor at a pack and ship. A collector friend picked it up and took it to the pack and ship, then he had to sweet talk the owner into accepting it. He helped the owner for 1-2 hours packing boxes, and Mine was packed for the cost of materials at the store. This was so over-and-above helping another collector that I sent him a couple of hundred dollars worth of cool phones as a thank-you for his help and labor.
A story to keep in mind when you are bidding on heavy items that are far away.
Just a point,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.