News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My First Car

Started by Snake, April 15, 2012, 06:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snake

So today I got my first car. It's a Subaru Outback Legacy. I just love it, it's my favorite color, green. It's got tons of room for my dog Reba and I(My dog goes everywhere with me, and she's a German Shepherd.) It's an original owner, very clean, low miles car, w/ a lot of extras like a cold weather package, upgraded sound system, etc. And best of all, it gets like 30+ mpg on the Freeway.

Looks like I'm going to be going to a lot more places now that I'm mobile, antique stores, thrift stores, flea markets here I come! Also, I will be going to the Northern and Southern California Phone Shows from now on.
Now I just need to figure out were I'm going to get money for gas!

Also, feel free to share your "first car", and let me know what you think of mine! ;D

JorgeAmely

The first car I bought was a 1980 Volvo GL. I gave it to a friend when it was 28 years old and had 300,000+ miles. It still runs in Tucson, AZ, now as a student car. Original engine, transmission and rear axle.
Jorge

Snake

That's a great car Jorge. Sound's like you got a lot out of it!

canuckphoneguy

A very nice first car Reptile Master!

Here's a picture of my first car that I inherited from my parents when I was 17. A 1980 Toyota Tercel liftback. It wasn't as fancy as this one - no back wiper and it had AM radio only.

It was a great little car - I still drive Toyotas today - a 2000 Toyota Echo (321 000 kms) and a 2006 Toyota Yaris (137 000 kms.)

Both the Echo and Yaris are "offspring" of the Tercel.

DavePEI

My first car was a 1970 Fiat Sport Spider 850 which I bought in 1971. Still my favorite car of all those I have owned. It felt and sounded like a race car gearing down on the off ramp from the 401 highway! (not a photo of my car - I don't know if there are any photos left, but it is identical) That car got polished every sunny day. I'd park  it on the front lawn and spend hours waxing it to impress the neighborhood girls!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Snake

Quote from: canuckphoneguy on April 15, 2012, 08:15:58 PM
A very nice first car Reptile Master!

Here's a picture of my first car that I inherited from my parents when I was 17. A 1980 Toyota Tercel liftback. It wasn't as fancy as this one - no back wiper and it had AM radio only.

It was a great little car - I still drive Toyotas today - a 2000 Toyota Echo (321 000 kms) and a 2006 Toyota Yaris (137 000 kms.)

Both the Echo and Yaris are "offspring" of the Tercel.

That's a cool lookin' ride. I hear really good things about toyotas.

Snake

Quote from: DavePEI on April 15, 2012, 08:18:26 PM
My first car was a 1970 Fiat Sport Spider 850. Still my favorite car. It felt and sounded like a race car gearing down on the off ramp from the 401 highway!

Dave

Lucky! That's looks like a fun car! My dad actually wanted me to get something a little more sporty, like a Camaro or a Firebird(I think mainly because he wanted to drive it :D), but it would be a little difficult to fit a Adult German Shepherd in it with any room left for phones! I could fit 2 switch boards and about a hundred 500's in my outback!

DavePEI

Quote from: Reptile_Master on April 15, 2012, 08:26:15 PM
Quote from: DavePEI on April 15, 2012, 08:18:26 PM
My first car was a 1970 Fiat Sport Spider 850. Still my favorite car. It felt and sounded like a race car gearing down on the off ramp from the 401 highway!

Dave

Lucky! That's looks like a fun car! My dad actually wanted me to get something a little more sporty, like a Camaro or a Firebird(I think mainly because he wanted to drive it :D), but it would be a little difficult to fit a Adult German Shepherd in it with any room left for phones! I could fit 2 switch boards and about a hundred 500's in my outback!

Its only disadvantage was it didn't have a back seat! But you are right it was a fun car, and a perfect car back when  was young!

Your Outback looks great. Your dog will love riding around in it!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

The 2 things I know about Subarus is their engines are based on the same technology as 2CV engines (Horizontally-opposed pistons, or "Flat" engines, the 2CV being a Flat-Twin air-cooled engine), and that if you reverse the name, it becomes "U R A Bus"... :D

Even though I don't drive, I have owned a car, it was a Citroen BX TGD (diesel) 1.9L "Meteor" estate, which had a dead engine, though if I had it now I could probably have revived the engine as it was only the timing belt that had snapped, and non-turbo Citroen diesels are pretty long-lived lumps, even with little maintenance... :D

The main reason I wanted it was cos they have the famed Citroen Hydropneumatic suspension, meaning you can cruise like it was a low-rider, or offroad it like a 4x4 (especially if it was a 4-wheel drive model!!), as you have a little lever by the handbrake which you can lift or lower to raise and lower the car, and, the car is self-levelling, so even when parked on a hill, it's all very nice and level, so no spilling your coffee in the cupholders... ;D

And the ride in them things, just like the 2CV, is lovely and smooth, a bit wallowy in places, but ultimately a great ride... ;D

This is an example of one, not mine, never got photos of it, and mine was a dark metallic charcoal colour:

AE_Collector

Quote from: twocvbloke on April 15, 2012, 09:09:39 PM
if you reverse the name, it becomes "U R A Bus"... :D

Car names have other meanings as well. For example, Yugo is what happens to you if you are in an accident in one.

NSU (am I dating myself? Do these still exist?) of course stands for "Not Suitable for Use".

Everyone knows that FIAT stands for "Fix It Again Tony". Fiats have just been re-introduced to North America but apparently they thought that everyone had forgotten what FIAT stood for when in fact people haven't. Sales have been much lower than anticipated.

Terry

Snake

Quote from: AE_collector on April 15, 2012, 10:30:20 PM
Yugo is what happens to you if you are in an accident in one.

That's ah fact!

TelePlay

At the risk of dating myself, here's my first car, and I wish I still had it. Built like a tank and powered by a 100 HP flat head V8. And gas was 28 cents a gallon. It was a hand me down from my parents when they upgraded to a brand new Chev. I got my first lessons in rust removal and fiber glass repair while I owned that car, a long time ago, far, far away . . .  They go for about $14,000 today.

Snake

Quote from: TelePlay on April 15, 2012, 10:52:18 PM
At the risk of dating myself, here's my first car, and I wish I still had it. Built like a tank and powered by a 100 HP flat head V8. And gas was 28 cents a gallon. It was a hand me down from my parents when they upgraded to a brand new Chev. I got my first lessons in rust removal and fiber glass repair while I owned that car, a long time ago, far, far away . . .  They go for about $14,000 today.

Man, that's a cool looking ride. Some day I hope to get an older car like that. 28 cents a gallon!  :o

twocvbloke

Quote from: AE_collector on April 15, 2012, 10:30:20 PMFiats have just been re-introduced to North America but apparently they thought that everyone had forgotten what FIAT stood fo when in fact people haven't. Sales have been much lower than anticipated.

Well, Fiat owns Chrysler these days, so, they already have a large market share in cars over there, but that doesn't make their cars any good, for either brand...... ;D

Greg G.

I have a picture somewhere, but not real handy.  My first was a 61 Ford Fairlane, 6 cyl. with 3-speed column shift.  I paid $100 for it when it was 10 years old.  I found this pic on the internet, comes close, except mine was a darker blue with a white top (and no tacky dice hanging from the mirror!)
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e