News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell System flies again.

Started by ....., February 27, 2018, 02:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My Flag arrived today along with some surprise badges. I decided to let her fly again, if it had ever flown at all.  It is made with woven canvas material and the Bell logo stitched into it. The rope that it hangs from is made with Jute or burlap. I believe that this flag could be 40 to 50 years old.

(update)

I got an email from the fellow I got the flag from. I had sent him an email showing it flying. Here is what he said:

Doug, that's beautiful. Glad you enjoy it. I got it in the 80's from an old Bell guy who said that it was in the storage room when his coworker retired in 1972. If you ever figure out how old it is let me know. I googled the Montreal label but nothing came up.

Doug Rose

Very nice Doug....looks great....other Doug
Kidphone

RB

WEBellSystemChristian

Great looking flag!!

I'd suggest using some 303 on it, just to prevent it from disintegrating or fading any further. Then you can fly it all day, every day, and salute it every morning before you go to work. Don't lie...we all know you do it. We would also do it ourselves secretly... ;D

https://www.amazon.com/303-Fabric-Upholstery-Protector-Repellent/dp/B00KMYYQ36/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1519766916&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=303+fabric+protectant&psc=1
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

It not likely be flown again. I only did that for the picture and to salute it as you say. :) It will be stored again just like what the last two owners did with it. It is just too big to display in the basement with my other pieces and too good to be left in the garage.

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Pourme

Great flag, Duffy, Took a lot of wind to lift that big boy!

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Quote from: Doug Rose on February 27, 2018, 03:03:34 PM
Very nice Doug....looks great....other Doug

Thanks other Doug.

Quote from: RB on February 27, 2018, 03:13:01 PM
Thats a big rascal!
very nice

Thanks RB.

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on February 27, 2018, 04:37:15 PM
Great looking flag!!

I'd suggest using some 303 on it, just to prevent it from disintegrating or fading any further. Then you can fly it all day, every day, and salute it every morning before you go to work. Don't lie...we all know you do it. We would also do it ourselves secretly... ;D

Thanks Christian.

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 27, 2018, 05:52:51 PM
NICE!

Thanks Harry.

Quote from: Pourme on February 27, 2018, 10:03:19 PM
Great flag, Duffy, Took a lot of wind to lift that big boy!

Benny

Thanks Benny,

Yes, it was very windy here yesterday. It was a good opportunity to see what it would look like blowing in the wind. It also gave me a chance to air it out. When I opened the package it came in, it had a very slight odor of furnace oil. It could be possible that it had been stored or was hanging in a boiler/furnace room for all those years. It looks to have a light soot covering on it as it's colour is dull and the white is gray. I'm not going to have it cleaned, I may store it in a space bag to keep it in good shape and from detoriating.
If it is as old as I think it is, it could make it a good candidate for a museum piece.

AL_as_needed

So we are not going with the bed-spread route?  ;D
TWinbrook7