News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Movie mistake Psycho

Started by Phonesrfun, March 20, 2017, 08:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

In Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho (1960) there is a 302 issue.  About 30 or so minutes into the movie, the girl (Janet Leigh) is talking with Norman Bates in his office about taxidermy.  The scene goes back and forth between her and Norman for several minutes.  Each time it shows her, she is sitting next to a WE 302.  It sure appears that the handset on the 302 is missing the receiver cap!

I don't have a way of getting a screen grab, or I would put it in.

-Bill
-Bill G

jsowers

Sharp eye, Bill. I'm watching it too and didn't notice. I did finally find a shot online showing the phone and yes, the earcap is missing.
Jonathan

Dan/Panther

That must have been a low budget movie. However Alfred Hitchcock was not a low budget director. Maybe that is where all the money went.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

19and41

He purposefully made it appear low budget.  It was even filmed at the same studio and lot where  his television series was being filmed.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

RotarDad

I'm sure there's nothing wrong with that 302.  It's a hotline to Norman's mother Norma, and there's only dead silence at the other end of the line anyway....... ;)
Paul

oldguy

It looks like she is talking into a smartphone:)
Gary

Dan/Panther

Quote from: oldguy on March 22, 2017, 01:03:29 AM

Time traveler.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Phonesrfun

Quote from: RotarDad on March 21, 2017, 10:16:05 PM
I'm sure there's nothing wrong with that 302.  It's a hotline to Norman's mother Norma, and there's only dead silence at the other end of the line anyway....... ;)

Hey, that's a good one!

I always like these old movies, and the TCM channel is always a good place to see not only old movies but the old phones that go with.  Too bad Robert Osborne passed away.

-Bill G

19and41

Try watching Saturday afternoons when the new lady on the block is on.  She is doing a good job with the informational aspect of the introductions.
— Arthur C. Clarke

andre_janew

The 302 in the movie is probably also missing its receiver capsule because without the cap, I don't know what would hold it in!  It is just a prop and most likely isn't really hooked up anyway.  I also think the transmitter  capsule was taken out to balance things out so the handset would sit properly on the cradle.

19and41

I'll bet the handset was dropped and broke the cap.  those old props did a lot of traveling back then.
— Arthur C. Clarke

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: oldguy on March 22, 2017, 01:03:29 AM
"Siri: Find me a Western Electric F1 handset receiver cap."

;D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

AE_Collector

Or calling 911 after piercing her ear on the spring contacts in the receiver cup.

Terry

LarryInMichigan

A psychopath probably hears voices even without a receiver capsule.

Larry

TelePlay

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on March 22, 2017, 07:33:35 PM
"Siri: Find me a Western Electric F1 handset receiver cap."

;D

Funny.

But, just think, if they had Siri when that movie was made how much farther along mankind would be today. Only question being for the better or worse . . .  ;)