News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Disclaimers on phone ads?

Started by Greg G., June 11, 2018, 12:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I came across this online.  It was a blurb on ebay at the bottom of the ad.  Makes sense, but I'm thinking it would hurt the sales prospects of the phone over something you have no control over.  It made me wonder if anybody has had backlash from a buyer because they did not have the type of phone service that would support pulse dialing?  One part of me says "Caveat Emptor", but another part of me would not feel right selling a vintage phone to somebody who looked forward to using it, and finding out they can't.  I have not sold many phones, and of them only three that I can think of that were bought by non-collectors.  Collectors I don't worry about a bit. 

QuoteDIALING OUT does NOT WORK on newer digital phone line technologies like Comcast Xfinity, Verizon FIOS, OR VOIP like Magic Jack. Sometimes the phone will still ring and can be used to talk on - just the dialing out may not work without a standard old time landline (known as POTS or analog). Since we don't know what kind of carrier you may have - there is NO guarantee that the rotary will dial out - new telephone line technologies do not support the dialing.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

FABphones

I don't sell many phones, but when I do, I have similar wording on my ads. I think it's only fair to the possible buyer to let them know, just in case they aren't aware.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

Yes, I include a warning on my phones similar to that. I recently sold a phone through Craigs List and I have the same warning there. Plus I told the buyer in our communications back & forth several times. I still got an email back from him stating that it did not work on his U-Verse phone line! Again I repeated that a rotary dial will not work on a VOIP line. He replied he was sending it to South America anyway and is hoping it will wortk there. I told hime one more time: "As long as it is a regular old landline it will work. It should be fine down there.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Sargeguy

I would not even say "regular old line" because you never know what the telco has done past the demarc.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Haf

If selling phones I use a disclaimer too, but doing it the other way round. Warning it might won't work is so negative so I explain in detail how to and what is needed to get a phone running properly. Works well I guess, no complaints so far.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

Key2871

I think that's a great idea. Because we know that the new technology doesn't usually support rotary dialing. It saves on headaches on both sides.
KEN

HarrySmith

Agreed. I also add something along those lines to my listings. Offering a converter if needed or wanted.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Greg G.

Quote from: Haf on June 11, 2018, 04:32:06 PM
If selling phones I use a disclaimer too, but doing it the other way round. Warning it might won't work is so negative so I explain in detail how to and what is needed to get a phone running properly. Works well I guess, no complaints so far.

Haf

Care to share your blurb?  I "borrowed" the entire blurb but re-worded it, plus I added a more positive line at the bottom that mentioned using XLink or pulse-to-tone converters. 

Mine looks like this:

QuoteRotary dial phones use what's called "pulse" (analog) signals to dial out.  Pulse dialing does NOT WORK on newer digital phone line technologies like Comcast Xfinity, Verizon FIOS, OR VOIP (such as Magic Jack). Sometimes the phone will still ring and can be used to talk on, but a rotary dial using analog signals will not work unless you have a standard landline. Without knowing what kind of carrier you may have - there is NO guarantee that the rotary will dial out - most of the new telephone line technologies do not support analog dialing.

One solution to this is to use an Xlink.  It is a device that pairs with your cell phone as a bluetooth and has a modular port to plug your rotary phone into.  You can then dial out on your rotary phone and it will go through your cell phone network.  You can also use other devices such as pulse-to-tone converters.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: HarrySmith on June 11, 2018, 04:46:01 PM
Agreed. I also add something along those lines to my listings. Offering a converter if needed or wanted.

Do you include the converter in the price of the phone?
- Mike Row
e

HarrySmith

I do not go into nearly that much detail. I do not have set wording that I use. I make each one up as I list the phone. Here is one from a current auction I have for a 500. Always a little different.

"This telephone uses pulse dialing. If you are not sure check with your provider if they support pulse dialing. It will work on any plain old landline but will not work on most IP or internet systems. There are converters available if that is the case. Let me know if you need one, I can install it for a small extra fee.Thanks for looking!"

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Haf

Quote from: Brinybay on June 12, 2018, 12:57:29 PM
Care to share your blurb?

I don't but it is in German of course and for German customers ;) Situation is maybe a bit different over here, we don't have any landline any longer, everything is VoIP, but most routers you get from your provider (as internet and phone service is one package here almost always- telephone alone is almost as much as bundled with internet) are able to handle pulse dialing. Biggest problem over here, ringing currency is often too low for non electronic ringers, depends on device your are using. My router also has simulated ISDN, important for my PBX and alows you a bigger variety of additional devices if needed.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474