News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Agatha Christies "Poirot" (PBS, ITV, NetFlicks)

Started by Babybearjs, March 14, 2017, 01:07:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

being a Agatha Christy fan, I find myself watching this intreging series.... and the beautiful antique telephones shown in the series.... (not to mention all the Art Deco Sets) has anyone watched this series? what value would those phones have? and whats the history.... such beautiful phones....
John

AL_as_needed

Another series you'd enjoy in "Crown" on netflix. It follows the early years of Queen Elizabeth's reign. Also lots of very very detailed (and im told very accurate) sets with a hole range of old GPO phones.
TWinbrook7

TelePlay

Another Netflix available series is Foyle's War which takes place in England starting just before WW-II and ending a few years after the war. Foyle is a detective who always figures out the mystery and finds the criminal. A well done series.

twocvbloke

Seen them? Yep, they're usually on ITV, the home of never-ending  repeats, being repeatedly repeated, David Suchet as Poirot is quite funny as the actor has a very deep bellowing voice compared to the character...

Babybearjs

what do those GPO phones usually bring at auction? what are they worth? are they equivalent to the W.E. 300 series?  about $200-300 USD... or more? they really are nice to see on TV....
John

twocvbloke

Quote from: Babybearjs on March 14, 2017, 01:43:49 PM
what do those GPO phones usually bring at auction?

On ebay, they're usually in the "silly money" category, even the basic black ones are quite expensive to acquire, particularly the ones that haven't been rewired with coiled handset cables and "modern" (for the era) line cables, the ivories go for more, and as for the reds and greens, it's one of those things of, if you have to ask, you probably can't afford it...  :o

The older pyramids (200 series) can go for even higher prices, it's why I haven't got anything older than my 706 phones, I just haven't the funds for the bakelite models...  :-\

AE_Collector

What models are we talking about......332 or something else?

Terry

TelePlay

This is from the first season first episode about 18 minutes in.

AE_Collector

Okay, older than 332's. Those are "Pyramid" phones aren't they? Is that one a 162? or 262? the only number I really know is the 332's. Was there a 232?

Terry

twocvbloke

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 14, 2017, 08:54:30 PM
Okay, older than 332's. Those are "Pyramid" phones aren't they? Is that one a 162? or 262? the only number I really know is the 332's. Was there a 232?

Terry

The 262 was a phone with an amplifier built in for the hard of hearing, the 232 was an updated version of the 162, and of course, there's the later 332 which was the one that looks similar to a WE302... :)

Lots of model numbers to be looking through here if you ever get bored:

http://britishtelephones.com/telelist.htm

Fabius

Don't forget the Canadian show Murdoch Mysteries" set in Toronto late 1890s and early 1900s.

Many period phones including a Northern Electric switchboard are used on the show.

In 2015 my wife and I attended a "fan appreciation event" at the studio in Toronto. That's me with the constable and the Leich? C/S
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Babybearjs

Cute! lucky you to be able to attend that gathering.... I would love to get my hands on the old wood phones, the problem....too expensive, and too much for shipping.... those things are huge! 
John

19and41

The Poirot series had excellent props and locations.  There was one episode that took place while everyone was trying to keep track of cricket and there was a beautiful E. K. Cole round bakelite receiver set up in Poirot's digs/office.  Anyone who thinks acting is a soft job should here Suchet speaking out of character.  It's like he is being dubbed.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

TelePlay

Quote from: twocvbloke on March 15, 2017, 03:03:53 PM
Here he is doing his real voice followed by Poirot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZJpGq6W1bw

And if you are a fan of Poirot, this is a good overview of all that happens from early morning to late at night on set of the last episode narrated by Suchet himself, in his own voice, plus a lot more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX3ITew9Mpw

Acting is not only character development (for method actors) but long days on set. A typical time frame to film 12 episodes of an hour show (1 season) on site is 6 am to 10 pm 7 days a week for 5 months regardless of the weather of the day. Poirot, I'm sure, was filmed under similar circumstances.