News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 51AL on Etsy

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, April 19, 2014, 11:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I bought this guy on Etsy for $129. At first glance (and maybe a couple more glances after that ;)), it looks like a 1970s repro. But if you look closely at the back of the shaft, you can clearly see "51AL" stamped on the perch. Unfortunately, the dial is one of the AE-style repros (can someone tell me if these were actual Automatic Electric dials, or just reproduction ones made to look like them?), and may need either a WE candlestick dial blank or a #4/#5 dial.

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/196058674
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Fabius

One of the things I learned is to never buy over the internet a brassed out candlestick. The fact that the dial is not WECO is easy to spot. In taking a look at the phone itself it may be that it's original. I see the remains of black paint on the perch and the pin that keeps the shaft from turning on the base is there. The receiver looks to be a WECO 143 though the cap doesn't seem to match. The WECO dial candlesticks came with a WECO #2A (2AA, AB, AE etc) dial.

Here's a web site that shows how to spot the fakes:
http://www.oldphoneman.com/Fakes.htm
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

poplar1

I think you got one with all WE external parts. However, for future reference, "51-AL" is on most of the repros.

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on April 19, 2014, 11:20:22 AMI bought this guy on Etsy for $129. At first glance (and maybe a couple more glances after that ;)), it looks like a 1970s repro. But if you look closely at the back of the shaft, you can clearly see "51AL" stamped on the perch...
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Sargeguy

You didn't get ripped-off too badly I think.  Depends on the shipping!

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7877.0

Let me know if you need a wiring harness for this one, I have an extra 50-AL and a 151-AL I think.  Not sure about the 51-AL, although I think you just unwrap a couple wires from the 151-AL harness and you are good to go.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

Shoulda' said--all WE except for the GPO dial. It's true most of the repros have AE dials, and most of those are modified dials from AE 80s or 80Es, originally with extended number plates, and when mounted on the candlestick, you see the exposed Phillips screw for the finger stop.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WEBellSystemChristian

Well, I guess I'll find out what's original and what's not here. I hope that the dial was the only thing that was changed or modified on this candlestick. Instead of buying an $80 #2 dial, I think I'll stick to a dial blank from Phoneco. Thanks for the info guys! ;)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WesternElectricBen

Good luck..

Now, this is why I don't buy Candlestics, yet. I think the only one I have is a re-pro, although it does look convincing. As well, as the semi high bid.

Ben

Sargeguy

Start with manual sticks and work your way up
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409