News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Collection of Telephone Photos taken in homes where they are still being used

Started by CanadianGuy, May 28, 2017, 11:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Fluorescent lights didn't exist in the early days of automatic offices so yes, I recall the 150 watt incandescent bulbs in reflectors in SxS offices and we all had one of these small clip on 48 VDC lights to use when working on equipment and terminal blocks. SxS offices had 48VDC connection points for lamps and test lamps all over the place. Most of our SxS offices had fluorescent lamps running the length of the front aisle and of course the frames but the back aisles where the lights weren't needed much had incandescent bulbs.

And yes this is the perfect place to put pictures of CRAP (a Jim S term for Telephone Related Apparatus & Parts) whether it is your CRAP or someone else's CRAP. I too have taken pictures of equipment still in use and appreciate seeing others pictures as well.

Terry

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: AE_Collector on June 06, 2017, 10:36:12 PM
Fluorescent lights didn't exist in the early days of automatic offices so yes, I recall the 150 watt incandescent bulbs in reflectors in SxS offices and we all had one of these small clip on 48 VDC lights to use when working on equipment and terminal blocks. SxS offices had 48VDC connection points for lamps and test lamps all over the place. Most of our SxS offices had fluorescent lamps running the length of the front aisle and of course the frames but the back aisles where the lights weren't needed much had incandescent bulbs.

And yes this is the perfect place to put pictures of CRAP (a Jim S term for Telephone Related Apparatus & Parts) whether it is your CRAP or someone else's CRAP. I too have taken pictures of equipment still in use and appreciate seeing others pictures as well.

Terry
General Electric (pretty sure it was) debuted the fluorescent lamp at the 1939 World's Fair in NYC.

Some of the offices I was in had fluted glass bowl-shaped diffusers (not EVEN reflectors!) around the incandescent lamps, with fluorescents installed later and the incandescents abandoned in place.

Worth remembering too that equipment frames were usually 11'6" high in anything other than Community Dial Offices, so ceiling height was 13 or 14'.  Even fluorescent light was pretty indirect and dim at the point where work was going on.

AL_as_needed

Spotted this 2554 (or some version of one) in a kitchen yesterday. Landlines are rare...corded wall phones even more so!
TWinbrook7