News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 191: WE Candlestick - Ended 11/08/15

Started by TelePlay, November 05, 2015, 10:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

New forum members are very welcome and encouraged to take a guess. After all, there are no wrong guesses, just one lucky one. No one knows the winning bid on any auction until it ends. However, it is important to get your guess in before someone else grabs your guess.

Just listed in a 3 day auction with no reserve and starting at $1.00 is a Western Electric Candlestick. Within the first hour of being listed, the auction attracted 2 bidders driving the price up to $17.06. The price should increase before the auction ends. Seller did not provide a lot of detail or close up photos so that leaves the value of this phone a bit of an unknown. So, the question is, who will offer the best guess and what will that guess be when the auction ends.

This is a THREE DAY AUCTION so all guesses will have to be in by 6:45 PM PST on Saturday - just a little under two days to take a guess.

NOTE: we will use a $5 gap rule between guesses to prevent crowding. As such, keep your guess at least $5 away from prior guesses for this contest. That would be about a 2% gap for this phone and it makes it easier to place your guesses.

The seller listed it as an "1920s CANDLESTICK TELEPHONE. WESTERN ELECTRIC DIAL ANTIQUE DESK TELEPHONE. METAL" with the item condition as "Used" and " - - - " with the auction listing description saying simply "3 DAY AUCTION, ONE DOLLAR TO START. THIS IS A VERY ATTRACTIVE ANTIQUE CANDLESTICK TELEPHONE MADE BY WESTERN ELECTRIC FOR THE BELL SYSTEM (THE AMERICAN TELEPHONE AND TELEGRAPH AND RELATED COMPANIES.)  IT IS UNTESTED AND SOLD AS NOT WORKING.  THE LINE CORD IS VERY SHORT BUT THE CLOTH RECEIVER CORD IS NICE. IT IS SOLD FOR DISPLAY ONLY. I SEE PATENT DATES ON  LOWER  BASE EDGE FROM 1915 TO 1920.  THE TAG BELOW THE TRANSMITTER HAS THE PATENT DATE OF 1913 ON IT. I SEE NO CRACKS IN THE TRANSMITTER CUP OR RECEIVER AND THE DIAL DIALS AND RETURNS FINE. THE CANDLESTICK PHONES WITH DIALS ARE MUCH SCARCER AND MORE DESIRABLE THAN THE ONES WITHOUT. MOST AREAS HAD TELEPHONES WITHOUT DIALS AND DEPENDED ON THE OPERATOR TO COMPLETE THE CALL FOR THEM.  WHEN IT COMES TO QUALITY AND COLLECTING WESTERN ELECTRIC SEEMS TO BE TOPS."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221933073697

It's another chance to move up a rung or to get onto the CRPF -> Contest Standings <- list,

. . . for as twocvbloke said,   ---> "You gotta be in it to win it !!!" ;D "

If you want to see the phones of past Auction Contests, click -> HERE <-

S C O R E B O A R D

$  129 70 - TelePlay  ( 14 )
$  134.70 - WEBellSystemChristian  ( 1 )
$  145.00 - poplar1  ( 8 )
$  160.00 - Daniël Oosterhuis  ( 3 )
$  170.00 - andre_janew  ( 7 )
$  175.00 - Sargeguy  ( 5 )
$  180.00 - Fabius  ( 2 )
$  185.00 - Mr. Bones  ( 13 )
$  190.00 - compubit  ( 12 )
$  200.00 - tallguy58  ( 10 )
$  215.00 - kleinkaliber  ( 11 )  -> WINNER - Final Selling Price $222.50
$  235.00 - Autonut  ( 6 )
$  245.00 - 19and41  ( 9 )
$  250.00 - wds  ( 4 )

Early Morning Auction Status

11-05-15     Listed      $      1.00
11-06-15     7 bids      $  101.00
11-07-15     7 bids      $  101.00
11-08-15     9 bids      $  131.08
11-08-15     8 bidders, 16 bids $222.50  Ended at 18:45:17 PST

WEBellSystemChristian

Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Fabius

A few unknowns with this item but assuming that there will be some non-collectors bidding I'll go $180.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Tech&Music

I'll try this for the first time, I'm going for $160.

wds

This seller just sold another one of these and somehow got $250 for it, and an earlier one for $153.  So I'll go $250 even though it's way too high.
Dave

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

$145....5H dial, AE (?) receiver, no desk stand cord, transmitter tag is unreadable, new felt...
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

compubit

A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Mr. Bones

$185.00, if I may, please.

Thanks, and best regards!

Bonedaddy
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus